First fish

Y2J

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My waters ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are all 0. However the water is very cloudy - u cant see much at all. I ve just performed a water change in some attempt to help the situation. At the moment (30 mins later) nothing has changed. Tomorrow i am at the pet store and was going to get my first couple of fish.

Would the fish be okay in this water or would i be putting them in damage? If i get some fish i wont be able to see them, thats how cloudy it is. I think it might be the filter. I cleaned it earlier and so its not blocked or anything but it doesnt pump very hard..the water goes around but when i first got it was so much more powerful..creating waves and now doesnt do that. Perhaps should get a new filter tomorrow.

what colour is the cloudy ness?

how long has the tank been running? if its had no fish in then it wont have cycled - so stock very slowly and check the levels after adding fish.

didi u clean the gravel REALLY good? this happened to me years ago before i found a great helpful site like this. I am a new found beginner at thid hobbie but have learned alot the last couple of months. If ur new at this it helps to read the top pinned articles they r really helpful. Also i just started a ten gal. the water got really cloudy the first week (not as bad as urs) it went away about the tenth day.

Both of my filters can be adjusted for the amount they pump, one is inside the pump and hard to accidently adjust but the other is on the outside and easy to knock, this my be worth checking if your water flow is low but all looks clean. And yeah thats looks like gravel dirt stuff (my tech name for it :lol: ) usually clears up in 12-48 hours running the pump/filter

hope this helps

Katchan

:thumbs:

I would wate for the cloudyness to clear before you add anything.

If it is suspended particles it can iratate fishes gills and cause damage, but if its algae, just wait til it uses up its recquired nutrients and dies.

My cycle took under a week. So if your water is ready, you can add water, just wait til the cloudyness goes. :)

Goodluck, Benny

well 12 hrs after the water change its still cloudy although i can just make out part of the plants which i couldnt before so its a little clearer

Today i wont get any fish but i am going to get a new filter just to see if it is the current filters fault its cloudy ;)

This happened when I set up my tank, I also felt the filter wasnt powerful.

So I re-read the instructions for putting the filer together and it turns out I did it wrong, had the 'filter wool' (white filter pad) in with the other pads instead of on top, made a huge difference when I put it on top!

i got another plump. The same one i had already. i have both on.. not forever..just to whenever i get the water clear.

I need one of them gravel cleaners.. can someone tell me there actual name? I moved some gravel and lots of dirt so i need 1. Anyone know how much they cost in england? I hope to buy one tomorrow

just make one out of a empty pop bottle, by cutting the bottom off, and tapeing it to your pipe with some insolation tape easy pese. is your fillter a fluval or a simalar type with just a sponge in it there not to cleather at filltering fine particals out, filters you can add fillter floss are best

Sounds good! As i was going to bed last night, 6 hrs after the second filter was in place i could see the water was far clearer. This morning its almost perfectly clear so the 2 filters have worked wonderes! Hopefully will be getting fish on friday.

Most reactions

Back