First attempt at a planted aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Don't forget to keep an eye on the conditions once you have fish, just to make sure. I'm a new convert to planted tanks and prefer to make absolutely sure :)

Don't forget to keep an eye on the conditions once you have fish, just to make sure. I'm a new convert to planted tanks and prefer to make absolutely sure :)
Yep, have got everything lined up. When I first stocked my small tank I managed to crash my biome (changed all the filters like the boxes said without saving the old ones- doh!!) and had to do a mini fish in "re"cycle which was hard work. Very aware of the possibility of things not quite going to plan.

Well, there's a new addition to my tank today... bamboo skewers! My java fern was a later addition to my tank so I tied it with cotton thread, I didn't think superglue would stick to damp wood.

The thread has already disintegrated and the fern has only half rooted to the wood. The wood is soft enough to drive a skever into though so for now it's held in place.

Any suggestions for what next? I don't really want to bring the driftwood out and disturb everything else. If I persevere with this long enough will the fern attach properly?

I guess worst case scenario is the fern comes loose and I plant it in some substance... but I kinda like it there now!

Attachments

• 20210323_173943.jpg
    20210323_173943.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 79
The fer will attach eventually. If you don't have strong flow, it might be stable soon. I use plastic twist ties (anything with a cord comes with one of those twist ties nowadays, a dip in bleach then a rinse in tap water, then store until needed).

Oh God. Came downstairs to a mini-disaster and an entirely self created one.
A flood. But with a leak tested tank, and no wetness on the cabinet. And a load of sad looking plants.

So I switched off the electricity, cleaned up, put the plants in my other 2 tanks and began scooping out thinking I must have cracked the tank or had a slow leaking seal.

Then realised I have put an airstone in for later, forgotten it and never put a valve on the end or connected it up. So once I filled up and switched on it seems to have cheerfully emptied my tank over night.

No major damage in the house as hard floors and an old rug has soaked up most of the water. But very stressful and a reminder I'm very much an amateur. Doing more leak testing and then will reattempt set up in the week sometime. Not the mothers day morning I was anticipating.
Well, that's one way to do a water change...

Did no one mention putting the new filter into the old tank or swapping some old tank sponge into new tank filter?

Did no one mention putting the new filter into the old tank or swapping some old tank sponge into new tank filter?
Regarding what? I have some old filter media in there and am giving a daily mild feed. The tank already had nitrites and some nitrates, presumably from ammonia from substrate and this. Ammonia was up last week but now zero.

Trying to follow discipline of silent cycle but can't help testing (mainly as convinced the bacteria in the filter needs ongoing live and attention ha ha) so now waiting for nitrite to come down and double bobs yer uncle , given plants progress too

Tank looks nice! also cycling with plants is different as plants eat up ammonia too. Once you see plant growth you are normally fine to add fish, but you just make sure to only add slowly. You cant do testing quite the same as you might never have nitrates. If the plants are growing you know you are probably all good. also I would personally have done a deeper substrate for that many plants (3 inch minimum) as otherwise you might see the plants suffer in 6 months time, but your experience might be different.

Plants are the best way to cycle a tank, and in my humble opinion the only way. Live plants are vital for an aquarium to become stable and sustainable. There is no where on earth you have fish that plants aren't put of that natural environment.

Tank looks nice! also cycling with plants is different as plants eat up ammonia too. Once you see plant growth you are normally fine to add fish, but you just make sure to only add slowly. You cant do testing quite the same as you might never have nitrates. If the plants are growing you know you are probably all good. also I would personally have done a deeper substrate for that many plants (3 inch minimum) as otherwise you might see the plants suffer in 6 months time, but your experience might be different.
Hiya

I'm only really doing anything with testing because I added some cycled filter media and didn't want it to die if there was nothing in the tank so added a low amount of ammonia to make sure it was fed. The ammonia got nicely munched so I know when I am ready to add fish in a good few days it will be ready.

The substrate is 3 and a half inches at the front and just short of 5 at the back so hopefully should be deep enough :)

Ah the aforementioned water leak!

Your tank looks great. What a difference a week makes! I really like the plants, especially the two red plants in the midground. Any idea what they're called?

Ah the aforementioned water leak!

Your tank looks great. What a difference a week makes! I really like the plants, especially the two red plants in the midground. Any idea what they're called?

Alternanthera cardinalis variegata. Dunno if theres a common name. Got from this site and plants in greta quality, I got a mixed box and then this and a rotala rotundiflora - but that's mostly green so probably not light enough to go red.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back