Fire eel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

2RED

Reaction score
I had an algea eater (plecostomas?? something like that) in the tank, he's about 2" in length. My eel seemed to be attacking him, really tearing him up, though it was in a castle so we couldn't see exactly what went on. The eel is nearly a foot long, as a guess. Did I see it wrong, is the algea eater not safe? I've taken him out for now,back in fish tank. Should I just get a bigger one? Also, what are the chances that the eel would eat a much smaller peacock eel or 2 if I added them to his tank(30 gal., lots or rocks,sand,& plants, feeder fish&ghost shrimp)?

A 30g tank isn't big enough to keep fire eels in,fire eels are territorial and in cramped conditions will act aggressively to tank mates,i wouldn't add anything else to the tank and would seriously consider either buying a bigger tank or taking the fire eel back to the shop,i would suggest thst the minimum size tank for this fish would be a 55g and preferably bigger.

I echo what cat fish crazy said. Otherwise the fire eel will tear up anything that can't get away fast enough or can be cornered easily. I am moving my fire eel to a much larger tank set up as you also should in the future.

Thank you 4 your replys. Dont want to return him, so im goin' shopping.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back