Fins Seem To Be Rotting Away On Pleco.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Verdifer

Reaction score
Heres the problem, I have 2 fish tank, a smaller tanks which has been running longer than my main larger tank, I have a bristlenose in my main tank and in my smaller tank I have a small plec, Im unsure what kind it's brown colour with black spots, all the LFS stock them so Im guessing common plec.

I have been told the bristlenose (it's about 5 or 6 inches long) does a better job at cleaning the algae but my smaller plec seemed to be better at going over the airstone, rock and the plastic cave type thing I bought in the local fish shop for the fish to hide in, my airstone is about 2 foot long and with the smaller plec in the tank I only had to switch the air off for 1 night and guarnteed the smaller plec would have cleared the Algae off it no problems. the smaller plec measures about 3 inches in length from tip to tail.

I was looking at the small plec over a week ago and noticed his fin on his back was looking like it was startin to wear away and his colour was going a bit pale as if the colour was fading and around about the middle of his back to the start of his head the skin was going a kind of white, it wasn't a pure white more like the white colour of our skin when we pick it off, it is hard to explain it looked as if the skin was dead and would eventually fall off, that's probaly the easiest way to explain it.

I took the small plec out and put it in my smaller tank and after a day I could see the colour coming back into him and his fin healed up in a few days, when I first seen it I was thinking of Fin Rot but all my other fish in the tank are fine and after a few days in a different tank it was back to normal.

What could be causing this to happen in my main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back