Finally Back At It

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RobRocksFishTank

Moved On
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time fish fanatic here. It's been about 8 years since I've had a live tank. I just got a new to 120 gal. tank and stand. It's up and running a fishless cycle. I was originally going to do an African Cichlid tank but have just changed my mind and am going with a freshwater tropical community tank. I was just finding that even though my tank is quite large, I would not be able to keep very many different species of Africans in it. I don't want to be limited to just a few varieties.

This is the largest personal tank I've had. The largest to date was a 45 gal. cube. My experience goes way beyond that, though. I used to run one of the largest pet store fish departments in the state. We had over 700 tanks on four large systems (including salt) with some tanks isolated.

Until recently, I had never heard of a fishless cycle or would never recommend sand as a substrate. I've never knowingly had any problems with fishless cycling but I do like the idea of it.

I always thought that sand would be too hard to work with for the average hobbyist but after trying it out, I would highly recommend it as the PFS that I got required absolutely no rinsing. After trying to rinse about 10 lbs with nothing being rinsed out, I decided to just dump it all straight into the tank. There was absolutely no dust floating around after filling the tank.

Looking forward to picking some pointers and possibly a good source for fish in my area as LFSs are few and far between. Not like it was before with at least one in every town.

Rob

I'm a bit like you Rob, returning to the hobby after a long gap. Fishless cycle was also new to me as is using sand. (I'd never go back to gravel now). Welcome back.

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, hope you enjoy it here! Glad to hear you're doing a fish-less cycle.

welcomeani.gif

Sounds like you've had a bit of a learning curve coming back to the hobby :lol:

I might be around here for a while, so I added a pic for my avatar. He resided in one of my favorite tanks.

Reganni? One of my favourites. If I was keeping African cichlids them (or Marlieri) and Neolamprologus Brichardi would be my two top choices

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back