Filter water current question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my tank is 80cm/35cm/40cm and is 94% stocked according to http://www.aqadvisor.com/ but it did say my 90litre filter was not enough for that ammount of fish (tetras, rasboras, small barbs etc)
so I just bought another filter (110 litre) to go with my 90. all pond solutions 400IF and 600IF and AQadisor says having both is satisfactory, but the water current from the new 600IF seems very strong, it has (they both have spraybars)
so ive turned it pointing down straight into the water but it seems to blowing my fish about a little bit, baring in mind my fish never really went to the left side of my tank, they always hung about on the ride side where my 400IF is, almost as if the water on the left side was not filtered enough, i say this because when i feed them there was never any water movement on the left side of the tank..the food only really moved about the surface of the water on the right side of it and stayed still on the left if that makes sense.
however since ive put the filter in my fish have started hanging about that side of the tank, almost as if they are playing in the stronger current.

my question is could this be harmful to my fish? would it tire them out or anything or cause stress?

I'm not sure I understand all your numerical data here - you mention both a tank and a pond. But your issue seems to be water movement.

Read up on your species. Some very much dislike high water movements (betta's for example), while my Gourmii's sometimes seem to be playing in it and they love water changes when I pour water in - many will swarm to the places I'm pouring the new water in. Some of my other species (Cherry barbs for example) run and hide wherever they can - I can tell they hate higher water flow and they hate water changes. So I just keep mine in the middle - and I seem to be getting enough filtration. An air stone or two can also provide entertainment for those fish that appear to enjoy it. That gives the other fish a way to avoid the air stone and stay in calmer waters.

I'm not sure I understand all your numerical data here - you mention both a tank and a pond. But your issue seems to be water movement.

Read up on your species. Some very much dislike high water movements (betta's for example), while my Gourmii's sometimes seem to be playing in it and they love water changes when I pour water in - many will swarm to the places I'm pouring the new water in. Some of my other species (Cherry barbs for example) run and hide wherever they can - I can tell they hate higher water flow and they hate water changes. So I just keep mine in the middle - and I seem to be getting enough filtration. An air stone or two can also provide entertainment for those fish that appear to enjoy it. That gives the other fish a way to avoid the air stone and stay in calmer waters.

oh the pond comment is just the brand of my filters (all pond solutions) and oddly enough its my small cherry bards that seem to playing in the current the most haha, my amber tetras and mosquito rasboras are staying clear of it but they hung about the smaller filter side anyway

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back