Filter Rattling...?

God only knows without seeing th tank!

I find i get bubbles on the surface of my 2ft if i have the internal bubblestream on the filter turned on, or if i've used Melafix (seems to froth the water a little)

Is there any trapped air in the filter still?

You might be seeing more bubbles at the surface due to water flow, now that you have a new impeller. The flow was probably reduced somewhat with the defective one, before it totally went & started rattling, common for hob filters.

Check any connections in the intake tube, sometimes a loose one above the water line will pull in air. Also check the cover, some hob filters, especially AquaClears, are prone to having a lid rattle. A rock on the top solves this problem, slate works well being nice & flat.

Yea, 10 hours is far to long for both fish and bacteria. Without water being constantly being pushed over the filter media it will die off at a rate of about 12% every hour. Likewise, the fish will probably have built up a lethal amount of ammonia in the water in that time. I wouldnt want to be more than 2 hours without a filter running, personally.

Filter media, if kept wet, will die back at 10% to 12% every 24 hours. This is why media can be shipped, really no different than fish. Fish commonly are bagged during shipping for 24-48 hours. I'd worry more if the tank was stocked heavy, but for an average stocking several hours without a filter running won't create much of a problem. Without a doubt don't feed, and drop in an air supply or powerhead to keep some surface motion going, as O2 will drop. Adding a water treatment that converts ammonia to ammonium to the tank will help as well, this is part of shipping fish for that 24-48 hour time span.

Is there any trapped air in the filter still?
By trapped air, do you mean it making a rattling noise? If not, how would I know if there is trapped air inside the filter?
You might be seeing more bubbles at the surface due to water flow, now that you have a new impeller. The flow was probably reduced somewhat with the defective one, before it totally went & started rattling, common for hob filters.

Check any connections in the intake tube, sometimes a loose one above the water line will pull in air. Also check the cover, some hob filters, especially AquaClears, are prone to having a lid rattle. A rock on the top solves this problem, slate works well being nice & flat.
From the 3-4 times I've taken the filter apart, everything has always seemed fine, and I always make sure everything is tightened as much as possible. I will try that rock or heavy object on top of the lid though and see if that helps any. Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back