Filter Question

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

Here is the story ...

I have bought a tank 30 Gallon with a Piranha in it on 1 x Topfin 30 filter.
Immediately added a AquaClear 30.
2 weeks later upgraded from 30 Gallon Tank to 75 Tank with a AquaClear 70 (also running the Topfin and Aqua Clear 30)

The Aqua Clear 70 has only been in the tank 5 days

Someone has offered me a very fair price on my 30 Gallon with the Topfin at minimum but possibly also the Aqua Clear 30.

I would place another AquaClear 70 (permanently with the other AquaClear 70 currently running) or Canister filter (running the old AquaClear 70 temperary to keep from cycling the tank but eventually problem retiring the AquaClear 70)

Would this be a problem with the cycle?
How long should I leave the 70 in the tank to develope bacteria from the other filters?

I only have 1 Piranha in the 75.

Any Advice would be great.
 
Stick the old media from the filters you are selling in the new hob or canister, toss some new media in the filters you are selling.
 
Yeah ... that is true BUT the person was interested in the used filter media.
 
I wouldn't put your fish at risk for the sake of your friend's fish. PM me a zip code, I have tons of cycled media, just cover shipping. Yes, cycled media can be shipped if done properly, I've done it several times in the past.
 
Thanks appreciated ... I live in Canada.

I am happy to keep it I will just keep the filter media.

My question is how do I transfer it over?

Aqua Clears have filters that fit almost perfectly to the water storage part.

I would have to remove an item.

I thought the canisters would be the same situation.
 
AC's come shipped with the sponge, carbon, and BioMax. Ditch the carbon, put the AC 30 sponge under the AC 70 sponge. As far as the Topfin media, I believe they are cartridges, floss media with carbon inside on a plastic frame. Slice the floss off of the frame, if it is newly cycling you may as well keep the carbon in it for now. You can fold it to fit either under one of the AC sponges, or to fit in one of the canister compartments.

One of the great things about AC filters is media flexibility. I have run double sponges, sponges & floss, just floss, peat & a sponge, you name it. The same goes for canisters, the ones on free standing show tanks have a standard media setup, I have a couple set up with just floss for water polishing in the fishroom.
 
AC's come shipped with the sponge, carbon, and BioMax. Ditch the carbon, put the AC 30 sponge under the AC 70 sponge. As far as the Topfin media, I believe they are cartridges, floss media with carbon inside on a plastic frame. Slice the floss off of the frame, if it is newly cycling you may as well keep the carbon in it for now. You can fold it to fit either under one of the AC sponges, or to fit in one of the canister compartments.

One of the great things about AC filters is media flexibility. I have run double sponges, sponges & floss, just floss, peat & a sponge, you name it. The same goes for canisters, the ones on free standing show tanks have a standard media setup, I have a couple set up with just floss for water polishing in the fishroom.

Thanks thats a good amount of info ... How long would I have to "double sponge it" before I can safely feel good about the media transfer?

Just a case of testing?
 
About a month. When you want to remove the extra media don't feed for 24 hours before or after removing the extra media, and feed lightly for the next week. This will produce less waste, giving the existing bacterial colony a chance to catch up.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top