Experiment Feedback: Testing Kits, Api Great But Tetra Easystrips Just

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DWC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I formerly, quite happily, used Tetra EasyStrips 6 in 1 Test Strips for measuring the water parameters before my weekly water changes on my Betta's 10 gallon tanks.  After repeatedly reading on this board the superiority of the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, I switched to the API Kit and found it worked well though took significantly longer to get results if the directions were to be followed.  I am currently testing 7 tanks weekly.    I also found I could not test all the tanks at the same time being limited by test tubes and frankly I don't know that I could keep track of more than one at a time.  With the Tetra Strips I could dunk all seven, observe at 30 seconds and 60 seconds as I had lined them up.

So, I purchased a fresh bottle of strips and a fresh API kit and tested the same water at the same time with both in all my tanks over several weeks.  I observed no significant differences in the results.  They have different colors and divisions so my community tank showed a color between 0 and 20 for nitrate with the Tetra Strips where the API showed between 5 and 10.  Ammonia and Nitrite was always 0 with both and pH was always within 0.2.

Conclusion:  While the API kit is great, and maybe the best choice when a problem is being diagnosed, the Tetra EasyStrips are a fast, effective means of checking the parameters of my water.  I'll save the API for when I have a problem.

David

Conclusion:  While the API kit is great, and maybe the best choice when a problem is being diagnosed, the Tetra EasyStrips are a fast, effective means of checking the parameters of my water.  I'll save the API for when I have a problem.
I had the same experience when I joined the forum.  However I didn't go out and buy the API test kit.  Instead over time I tried to find  ways to verify the accuracy of the strips.  I have compared the strips to PH meter and TDS meters and have use reference solutions to make other comparisons.   I have over time confirmed the strips are accurate for PH, KH, and GH.  I was thinking of testing nitrate reading and chlorine  but didn't do it because I have seen comments like yours enough times to convince me the strips are accurate.  enough to be useful.  

The primary limitations to accuracy are human error and how good one its at matching. color.  Problems that are common to all hobby test kits.  Professionals or people that want or need accurate results often use colorimeters such as these:http://hannainst.com/products/checker-colorimeters.html  In these instruments a computer does the color comparison.

Or you could try these new strips by JBL that can be read by a cell phone: https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Smartphone-Evaluation-Freshwater-Aquarium/dp/B00R5S9EQ6

An then there are electric meters available for reading PH, and TDS (total dissolved solids).  Quality meters can give you very accurate results in seconds or minutes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I always wondered the difference too, as everyone said to use liquid kits for best results, BC strips are not accutherate. My LFS uses strips. The JBL looks interesting too. Good post.

Thanks very much for taking on this experiment.
My own experience with API Freshwater Master Test Kit has not been very good.
I found that the PH test reads  on the low side when compared to a calibrated meter.
The printed chart that they provide is difficult to read when comparing results for both the PH and Nitrates.
In fact readings for 10 and 20 ppm in the nitrate area is virtually indistinguishable on the provided chart.
I feel that The API test kits may be good for an approximate reading for most, but I will be limiting my use of this brand.
I will replace the various API tests with one from Sera as they are used up.
This is one of the brands that my LFS stocks.
Costs a bit more than API, but it is the one that they claim to use on their tanks.
Time will tell.
Cheers!

One way to check the accuracy of a nitrate test is to make a reference solution using using dry fertilizer and a scale.  You can also make a KH test solution (using baking soda).  This link is to forum about this:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/83545-calibrating-test-kits-non-chemists.html

Basically if you take a know quantity of a material and dilute it down with pure water  (preferably DI water,  distilled or RO will work but may not be as accurate as DI) you will end up with a water sample of of a known value you can use to check the accuracy of any test kit.

Thanks for the link Stephen.
I know what distilled and RO water is.
But, what is DI water. New to me.
March...

In terms of water purity it is Distilled, RO, and DI (deionized).  DI is the purest water you can get.  

As a note, I did try tetra ammonia test strips.  I don't like them.  The color chart has sqares for 0, 01, 1, 2, and 3 ppm.  However while the chart has smooth green yellow colors and strips generate a granular color which is very hard to match.  Also if you expose them to ammonia free water the color will slowly darken.  However if you expose them to ammonia thye will darken faster.  So it is easy to get a false positive with the strips.   I needed something better for an experiment I was doing so I purchased a Hanna ammonia colorimeter.  

I recently did have a ammonia spike in my aquarium When I discovered this the colorimeter reading was 1.3ppm.  I still had the Tretra strips and they showed 1ppm.  I quickly got it down with a water change and then added  some fertilizer to assist the plants. and left the lights on overnight..  The next day the strips were between 0 and .1ppm and I guessed it was 0.05 while the colorimeter was 0.01.  So overall the ammonia strips are good enough to diagnose a ammonia issue but the color chart is much harder to match and you must read the strip immediately after removal from the aquarium.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back