Endler only tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mrs Lurch is now down to 2 male endlers and considering adding females if we can find somewhere to take the inevitable off our hands. What sort of M/F ratio would be advisable?

Must remember that once you add females to the mix, more likely than not you'll end up with lots of endler fry thus possibly overstocking your tank in the long run.

And if you still want to add females to this tank, then usually I recommend at least 3 females for every male, 3:1 ratio minimum.

Cheers everyone. TTF to the rescue again.

SF can be a bit vague tbh. It says something along the lines of “a considerable colony can be kept in a 40L 450x300x300 tank”. For a science led website it’s noncommittal to say the least!
So what would the good folk of TTF consider “a considerable colony” to consist of?

I’m gonna ask around our 3 lfs if they’d take little uns off HER hands before we go any further. The cat says he’ll help out if reqd but MrsLurch give him one of THOSE looks that puts us firmly in our place.

Is that 450 the length of the tank?

45cm, not a large tank but just about big enough for a small group of endlers, maybe 12, am not very good at stocking numbers tbh.

But definitely not a “considerable” colony, depending on how one defines what is a considerable number though!

One last thing, is your water hard or soft? Livebearers do best in hard water rather than soft, probably an obvious question for you but I need to ask nonetheless.

More females than males isn't always necessary with livebearers. It depends on what kind of livebearer species you're dealing with. My experience with endlers is that a ratio of 1m:1f works fine. Even more males than females ain't an issue overhere. But sufficient space is more crucial to the behavior of males.
It's just a generalization to say that livebeares should be held at more females than males. Not all male livebeares harass the females. And note that courting males is something different than harassing males.
And endlers don't bother that much when they're kept in softer water to be honest.

More females than males isn't always necessary with livebearers. It depends on what kind of livebearer species you're dealing with. My experience with endlers is that a ratio of 1m:1f works fine. Even more males than females ain't an issue overhere. But sufficient space is more crucial to the behavior of males.
It's just a generalization to say that livebeares should be held at more females than males. Not all male livebeares harass the females. And note that courting males is something different than harassing males.
And endlers don't bother that much when they're kept in softer water to be honest.

I get ya - I've taken advice from seriously fish on and it recommends that 2/3 F to 1 M ratio.

@Ch4rlie Mr Lurch's water is proper hard. The kind ya wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley :rofl:

@ClownLurch I've 8 male enders in 60cm tank. Females are bit bigger but you'd have space in a 60cm x 30cm tank for about 20. Bang in lots of plants & hidey spots.

Is that 450 the length of the tank?

45cm, not a large tank but just about big enough for a small group of endlers, maybe 12, am not very good at stocking numbers tbh.

But definitely not a “considerable” colony, depending on how one defines what is a considerable number though!

One last thing, is your water hard or soft? Livebearers do best in hard water rather than soft, probably an obvious question for you but I need to ask nonetheless.
Water is hard 19dh 340ppm from the tap.
Something like 70% of the worlds chalk streams are in the U.K. and approx 50% of that chalk runs out of our taps. There’s one flows across our street actually, I cross it every time I go to work, pub, train station etc etc.
Work! There’s a word that takes me back.

Considerable is a tad vague by anyone’s standards.

I get ya - I've taken advice from seriously fish on and it recommends that 2/3 F to 1 M ratio.

@Ch4rlie Mr Lurch's water is proper hard. The kind ya wouldn't wanna meet in a dark alley :rofl:

@ClownLurch I've 8 male enders in 60cm tank. Females are bit bigger but you'd have space in a 60cm x 30cm tank for about 20. Bang in lots of plants & hidey spots.
20! Naaaah.
MrsLurch is thinking two males + 4-6 females max. Thinks the females arent as nice looking as the males but doesn’t want to give em an “unnatural life”. The cats fuming mind as he was snipped ASAP.

20! Naaaah.
MrsLurch is thinking two males + 4-6 females max. Thinks the females arent as nice looking as the males but doesn’t want to give em an “unnatural life”. The cats fuming mind as he was snipped ASAP.

What size tank?

An all male tank can be nice as well...
Looks nicer with all male.
She had 6 males a couple of months ago but they’re dying on her. All from the same family. Bloated stomachs, stringy poo, lethargy. Dead overnight. They’ve had both esha worm medicines.
Waters fine. Tested twice a week. 70% wc every weekend.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back