EMERGENCY! Betta Ruptured Stomach\ Exposed Intestines??

ambersen

New Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
New York
Hello all,

My male betta, Ben, has what looks like intestines external coming from his body.

A few days ago I left a bit too much food in the tank and noticed he was bloated and constipated around the stomach area. Then, it didn’t go down and there was a large visibly white bubble on only one side of his body.

Reading up I was thinking it was constipation and the past few days he was lethargic and laying around the bottom of the tank. I did a water change & he has no tank mates. Two days ago I fed him a quarter of a deshelled boiled pea.

I let him rest— as I read in other forums—to digest and I fasted him after.

He’s been lying around at the bottom of the tank, and today when I checked on him to see if he was still alive, he had this coming out of him as he swam around!

I can’t find any information as to what this is for sure and what I should do. I think it may have been a vent prolapse but I’m not sure. Should I wait to make sure it’s not poop before considering euthanasia? It’s only coming out one side. He swims around every now and then but then just lays back down. Online vets have been no help. This is so so tragic to see my little guy like this--

PLEASE HELP ME HELP BEN
<3
 

Attachments

  • EC946990-121E-4AD6-BB70-85885FE19BEF.webp
    EC946990-121E-4AD6-BB70-85885FE19BEF.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 5F233739-20D2-4D04-AB07-4F0B14A7E2A8.webp
    5F233739-20D2-4D04-AB07-4F0B14A7E2A8.webp
    93.2 KB · Views: 374
  • B71AE2F1-C475-437E-9B4E-6971B1A418B7.webp
    B71AE2F1-C475-437E-9B4E-6971B1A418B7.webp
    118.6 KB · Views: 237
  • F8157989-9844-4764-8271-25F9E4FF1477.webp
    F8157989-9844-4764-8271-25F9E4FF1477.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 2633F151-2A5F-40CD-9205-84B299F2F158.webp
    2633F151-2A5F-40CD-9205-84B299F2F158.webp
    72.9 KB · Views: 226
  • A2A086E5-B3B6-44E7-91F0-511C1837AF6A.webp
    A2A086E5-B3B6-44E7-91F0-511C1837AF6A.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 282
I can’t tell anything by those pics. Can you get a clearer one with no reflection?
 
Unfortunately I cannot since he is resting on the bottom of the tank since and I don’t want to stress him by making him move. I did zoom in on a few here though. I wish they were clearer— hope this helps see the pinkish hanging substance.
 

Attachments

  • 5B82CB0E-E5F7-4C92-95DC-69EE6865F0FB.webp
    5B82CB0E-E5F7-4C92-95DC-69EE6865F0FB.webp
    84.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 022491CE-A712-4431-9372-5FA34B8F0EB9.webp
    022491CE-A712-4431-9372-5FA34B8F0EB9.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 216
This does not look fixable
I would euthanize the fish :(
 
Honestly you could try using melafix or something similar keep doing water change to help it heal without anything bad going into it but you have about id say a 5% or less chance of it working as that looks really bad

The best thing to do is euthanize it, and put it to rest, sorry to say
 
If the fish seems to be suffering or his quality of life is decreased, it may be best to euthanize him. Think of it as freeing then from suffering.
 
Honestly you could try using melafix or something similar keep doing water change to help it heal without anything bad going into it but you have about id say a 5% or less chance of it working as that looks really bad

The best thing to do is euthanize it, and put it to rest, sorry to say
@Dyood You can’t use Melafix on a betta.. it can suffocate them due to their labrynth organ. I think it’s best to euthanize him with some clove oil.
 
Yes never use melafix or bettafix
 
You could try Tetracycline, after you get this pull apart te capsule and add in the water, I have this problem with my minnow once and it worked, next time try feed betta 2 pellets a day or do every other day.
 

Attachments

  • 4A2C657E-945B-4EEB-AE22-49A4D8E2639F.webp
    4A2C657E-945B-4EEB-AE22-49A4D8E2639F.webp
    11 KB · Views: 139
Sorry to say, and the pics are hard to see clearly, but it looks like prolapse to me :( No treatment possible unfortunately. I also lost an angel to this. She lived for a few months and it didn't seem to bother her until one day she just succumbed to it quickly. But if the fish is showing signs of distress, I sadly agree with euthanasia.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top