Electric Blue Gouramis..gender, Tank Mates, Tips?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My3Fish

Reaction score
Hello

I just received two Electric Blue Gouramis as a gift and I have no idea about anything about them..
So, they look EXACTLY alike, so i'm guessing that they are the same gender. I have been trying to find out how to see what gender they are, but I just don't see the difference in the fins. Do any of you have some really good pictures of the different fins on your fish? That would be SUPER helpful.

Next, I would like to know about tank mates. I have one red blood parrot cichlid in there with them right now, and they seem to be getting along pretty well except that my cichlid once in a while will nip at one of them, but i'm not sure if it is just playing or bullying.

How much room do my electric blue gouramis need each?

I would like to make my tank the best it can be for my electric blue gouramis. Do you have any tips? Anything I should know about them?

Also, do they breed easily? I was told that cichlids are nearly impossible to breed, so I didn't even bother trying, but what about these guys?

Thanks

Post a picture of your Gouarmis and I'll take an educated guess.

Here's a pic of my Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami male:

DSCN0493-1.jpg

Post a picture of your Gouarmis and I'll take an educated guess.

Here's a pic of my Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami male:

DSCN0493-1.jpg

The fins look exactly like my fishes' fins. I'm guessing that they are males.. I just talked to somebody on the site and they were thinking that they were males based on color/fins.. etc.

Thanks!

Males are Blue, Females are dark brown/grey. Female Gouramis are SUPER difficult to find. What size tank are they in? Anything above a 10 gallon should be fine. They may chase each other to dispute territorys but they shouldnt fight to the death. If you DID have a female, Gourami's breed just like all Labyrinth fish. The female swells with eggs, the male builds a bubble next around plants or a floating object. The female releases the eggs and then the male fertilizes them and puts them in the bubble nest, at that point you need to seperate the female. In a few days the babys will hatch and in a few more they become free swimming and eat crushed food, after they hatch, remove the daddy. Tank mates can be any non-labyrinth fish. A good tip is if your males continue to get in scuffles, add many many plants, if they cant see each other well, they'l fight less. Hope they do well!

Most reactions

Back