"ecosphere"....opinions?

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Is it just another creature-killing product, or is it actually true? I can see how it works scientifically, with the shrimp producing CO2 and the alagae producing Oxygen, but I just can't see how it all gets along without a filter or waterchanges, let alone no feeding.

http://www.eco-spheres.co.uk/

I'm actually interested in buying one, by the way, just came across it when searching for something else...

It works, pretty simple really, the Shrimp respire along with the plants to produce carbon dioxide, algae and the included plants photosynthesize and absorb carbon to grow and provide further food for the Shrimp, the plants also up take nutrients from shrimp waste, it works on a cycle principle. If it doesn't receive light however it wont work.

Would it really be safe as an aquarium though? I can see how the cycle works so it would technically work as an aquarium, but what about, you know, water qualities and stuff?

It's designed for shrimp only, no fish, you can't add or remove water, the water quality remains good if it receives light, the plants absorb any ammonia produced by the shrimp.

So it would actually make a sucessful and safe setup? Interesting :)

Most reactions

Back