Dyed?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jasonskillz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well i was reading a parrot thread and some guy said that you can tell if a fish is dyed if the eyes are a different or wierd color
when i read that i immediatly thought of my gourami since his eyes are yellow and when i bought him, he had a yellow spot on the top of his head
i dont really care if hes dyed or not now, since hes very special and is a very intelligent fish
but i do care if the dye on him would affect his life span :unsure:
it did not seem like a lot of dye, just a lil speck im guessing (not the pink of my fish though)
could the dye have harmed him in a big way? :/

heres a old pic of him, as you can tell he has yellow on his head, and his pink color was more vibrant
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/jas...s/mygourami.jpg

heres a recent pic of him and it has disappeared for a while (a piece of his whisker got broken off)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/jas...es/IMG_0266.jpg

i also found he had many flaws after a few months after i bought him, his spine by his tail is slightly unstraight, and his right gill got curled up a little, but even with these flaws, hes still my awesome gourami :rolleyes:

are you saying my whole gourami?
or just his eyes?
i hope you do not say my whole fish because i dont want to go through another one of my explainations

Hmm... I don't think he's dyed. His coloring is all over, including his fins, and those are hard, if not impossible, to dye. I don't think they can dye eyes, either. He's very pretty! :nod: I think if he was dyed, he would have many more health problems. He looks healthy to me!

If you look at pics of it when it was young, you'd probably think it was dyed... the new pics of it older show lots of pink coloring, which would tell me it's not dyed... The dye doesn't get more vibrant as the fish grows.. that tells me it's natural.

Same with your parrots.. I thought your parrots were dyed when I saw them all dull with weird pink.. but now their color has become waay brighter.. so obviously not dyed.

are you saying my whole gourami?
or just his eyes?
i hope you do not say my whole fish because i dont want to go through another one of my explainations

Um, generally if you're asking for advice, giving as much information and explination as possible is the best idea, and you can't get adequate feedback by going "I don't feel like it."

To me, that fish looks dyed, including the pink--although it looks dipped, not injected. I've NEVER encountered a true giant with any pink all over the body like that. There is an albino morph, but they have a very pale, fleshy pink mostly around the face, and are otherwise a creamy white. I've heard of an albino morph of the red-tailed giant, but that would be a red/pink in the fins only, not on the body.

The bright yellow around the eye does look unnatural to me, usually their eye sockets are the same color as the rest of their flesh, possibly a little paler. The yellow doesn't make any sense, naturally.

In the first photo, it may be a trick of the light or a reflection, but it does look like the bottom half of the fish is a bright, neon green, although that color is absent in the later photo--whether he grew out of it, or it was a reflection, you know better than I.

the first pic i posted was a pic i took last year
i plan to take new pics of him very soon :hey:
hes gotta a little bigger and his sharp teeth are starting to grow 8)

I don't know what you read but a lot of gouramies have eyes that don't match their body color. That's actualy quite typical of many species.

In terms of the parrots, what the article you were reading was probably trying to get at is that eyes are NOT dyed so if they are a different color to the body, the fish' body is likely to be dyed.

Take a look at this moonlgiht gourami: http://juuri.org/fatalii/other/kuvat/DSCN7502.jpg In both sexes the eyes tend to be yellow-orange. Males get darker, more red eyes when in breeding condition. The same is apparent, often even more obviously in (both sexes of) three-spot gouramies and oftentimes in male pearls.

Thea early pic looks natural to me; I have seen juvies sometimes more colorful when they become adult. And he's grown very beautifully too. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back