Dwarfs And Others

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:shout:
You are aware that this is a symptom of DGIV?
Could be various other things.....
I'd get him quarantined A.S.A.P for safeties sake.

Oh the irony!

are thick-lipped gouramis and banded gouramis considered dwarf gouramis?

No....
They are all colisa....
Banded(giant) gourami; colisa fasciata
Thick lip gourami; colisa labiosa
Dwarf gourami; colisa lalia
Honey gourami; colisa chuna

Although you'd expect LFS to pick what common name they provide at random.
Or possibly call them all dwarves.

no, i dont mean like the dwarf gourami itself (Colisa lalia). I kinda mean like are thick lips and banded considered in the family of dwarfs? I dont know if i can explain it right :crazy:

But, seeing as the beginnings of their scientific names are are the same, i would think they are classified as in the dwarfs family? And so do they also have a chance of diseases? See, i dont know if your talking about dwarf gouramis as in Colisa lalia or as in the family of dwarfs gouramis itself

ah, im confused now :blink:

Me too.
I'm awful at taxonomy.
As far as i know the only 'family' of dwarfs would be colisa lalia; common name dwarf gourami;
With the only sub-divisions to this being based on colouration; powder blue, neon blue etc.

While there are obviously closer links between 2 colisa gourami than between say 1 colisa and 1 trichogaster
(ignoring the fact that colisa chuna seems to be classed as a trichogaster in some places) the serious risk of illness is specifically linked to Dwarves (colisa lalia), it has been one of the most popular gourami in its time, which has resulted in weaker strains through inbreeding.
DGIV is not related to any other colisa (as far as i know) only colisa lalia.
Colisa Lalia is often regarded as having a particular weakness as regards bacterial illness.
All gourami are considered as being at risk of non-lethal, minor parasites (or so i have read).

Please correct my taxonomy if i'm wrong, please?

ok, thanks germ i dont know what taxonomy is but i understood what you said and it has cleared up a lot of things for me :D

also do banded gouramis do better by themselves or with another of their species(regardless of sex) I heard that they are timid and if i have two, will they be more active? Im asking this because i read about it on some site and i was just curious.

I didnt want to make another post just for this question but if no one answers, i will xD

also do banded gouramis do better by themselves or with another of their species(regardless of sex) I heard that they are timid and if i have two, will they be more active? Im asking this because i read about it on some site and i was just curious.

I have two (male and female) and when they were in the quarantine tank I never saw them - they were always hiding. But in my 75 gallon community tank they are always out and active. They are wonderful fish. I highly recommend them!

Hey MeanHoney!
Have you got any pics of the banded, saw some at the LFS today (first time i've seen them in an LFS) i was surprised at how broad they were....
Good looking fish...
Anyhow, pics?

Hey MeanHoney!
Have you got any pics of the banded, saw some at the LFS today (first time i've seen them in an LFS) i was surprised at how broad they were....
Good looking fish...
Anyhow, pics?

Here are some pictures from when they were still in quarantine. They've colored up some since then. I'll try to get some better pictures in the morning.

gourami1.jpg

gourami2.jpg

My Dwarf Gourami isn't diseased. He's a happy healthy fish. I've had absolutely no trouble with my Gourami and mollies. They don't seem to know each other are there. All of the fish in my tank (fish listed in my signature) get along well, with the male swordtail being the only mild trouble maker. I used to have a black, red tailed shark who pestered everyone but the Dwarf Gourami. I gave him to my LFS. Once he grew to his full size, the shark may have pestered my Dwarf Gourami, I don't know. I didn't want to give him the chance.

hm, do you think that banded gouramis will do ok by themselves though? Like not feel scared because there are no other fish in their species there?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back