Dwarf Puffers and an Algae eater?

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a pair of dwarf puffers, and the tank is getting a decent amount of algae growth. I would just add a couple snails, but the little guys LOVE them and they dont get to clean anything up before they are eaten. :p

I know that puffers tend to be fin nippers. Is there an algae eater that I can add that the puffers would leave alone? It would be temporary most likely since my buddy needs an algae eater, I said if this would work, I will buy it and when I am done, I will give it to him for his tank.

i cant think of one off hand perhaps some large snails would be just the job. apple snails. once they lay there eggs you can slice the eggs off the rim of the tank and put them out to pasture and feed to your fish spareingly as they will spoil their appitite and you may want a second generation.

Hi Phreaxer...I use med sized Apple snails for algae control in the Puffers tank, they get picked on quite a bit but they seem to get the job done.
I'd be careful with some of the bigger algae eaters like common plecs as they will eat meat if given the opportunity, and Dwarf Puffers are heavy sleepers :crazy: ...You could try some Otocinclus, I have seen them recomended as suitable tankmates for Dwarfs. I just relocated 2 of my more timid Dwarfs into the tank that houses my Otos and they don't bother with them at all. Or maybe some algae eating shrimp, but they would eventually get it from the Dwarfs :eek:

Most reactions

Back