Driftwood leaching tannins

Captain Canuck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a piece of driftwood that is leaching tannins into my tank. Does anyone know when it might stop? Should I take it out and re-boil it?
Here is the background. Before placing the driftwood in my tank, I had boiled it for about 8 hours. For a time my water looked great, now approximately 3 weeks later, the wood appears to be leaching tannins. I am doing frequent water chagnes for appearances sake, because I am sure it bothers me more than my loaches.

Tannin wont harm your tank,it might drop your ph slightly. Just add charcoal to your filter to help remove colour(some peeps like the colour, more natural)
Not 100% sure but im sure i rad on forum that boiling the wood makes it soft and rots quicker,better to use an airstone in normal water.

The best way to get rid of the Tanins is to soak the bogwood for 2 weeks in constantly changed water, to speed up the process add an air pump for extra agitation.

I like the effect. When the wood stops leaching, I tend to add extract to get the colour back!

I have to admit, the color does give it a natural look. :thumbs:
If charcoal will remove the color, then that is why I didn't notice the color immediately. Not too long ago I removed the charcoal from my Aquaclear and replaced it with floss, I guess that is when the tannins started to color the tank. I will wait and see how dark it gets before I consider adding charcoal.
Thanks for the help. :cool:

Most reactions

Back