Drastic Pygmy Cory Behavior Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If the actual GH is close to the lower number (150), this would be moderately soft and the cardinals and other soft water fish should be OK. But the mollies will continue to struggle, and worsen.
I'm getting a test kit, but assuming my GH is too low, what would you suggest to do to raise it?

I'm getting a test kit, but assuming my GH is too low, what would you suggest to do to raise it?
From what we have been discussing in this thread, I will assume you are not intending to raise the GH in the tank with the mix of fish, but in a separate "molly" tank.

First thing, is to determine the GH of the well water assuming you can use it without it having passed through the softener. [Remember, the softener is adding common salt (sodium chloride) which is harmful to the soft water fish anyway.] The well water may or may not be sufficient GH on its own. This is certainly the easiest and least expensive method.

You can buy preparations, which can get costly and will mean preparing water for every water change externally so it is at the same GH/KH when added to the tank with the mollies. The amount of additive needed to be adequate would depend on the GH/KH of the well water.

Another method, and one I have used for mollies and even rift lake cichlids (also hard water) is to use a calcareous substrate sand. You need one that dissolves calcium and magnesium. This is permanent, as it remains in the tank continually but slowly dissolving the mineral salts into the water. I did water changes with zero GH/KH tap water back then for a few years and saw no noticeable issues, though I knew much less about this then than I do now.

This is not a problem I have had to deal with (except back then in the 1980's) since I have only been acquiring very soft water fishes ever since I recognized the full extent of the issue, and with soft water fish the GH/KH at basically zero is ideal.

From what we have been discussing in this thread, I will assume you are not intending to raise the GH in the tank with the mix of fish, but in a separate "molly" tank.
Yes, currently from reading up on what you've been describing I think I'll keep my mollies and shrimp in one tank and move the cardinals and corys to a 10 gallon. Hopefully it will not be too small but that's all I have.

Just realized, I will also have to lower the GH from now on since I will not be using softened water, and my wellwater GH is too high for the c&c. Do you have anything in mind for dealing with that?

Yes, currently from reading up on what you've been describing I think I'll keep my mollies and shrimp in one tank and move the cardinals and corys to a 10 gallon. Hopefully it will not be too small but that's all I have.

Just realized, I will also have to lower the GH from now on since I will not be using softened water, and my wellwater GH is too high for the c&c. Do you have anything in mind for dealing with that?

What is the GH of the well water? I don't think we've confirmed that...might well be OK for the cardinals, etc.

What is the GH of the well water? I don't think we've confirmed that...might well be OK for the cardinals, etc.
Well, just got an API GH test kit and it took 18 drops to get the correct color. Unless the chart is misleading or im misunderstanding, 1 drop=1 degree, so about 305-325ppm. Good enough for the mollies, but too high for everyone else right?

Most reactions

trending

Back