Dragongoby + Brackish Water Fish Compatibility

Rachella

New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Alrighty, I have a freshwater aquarium. I recently bought a Dragon/Violet Goby from the local Petsmart. He's a wonderful fish, and a delightful addition! When I bought him, I had white gravel, however, after learning they prefer sand I went and bought sand, and redid the entire aquarium with sand, keeping old water and currently a bag of old gravel sits in there also, to transfer bacteria from what I've read. He's adjusted well, and the moment I put him back in he went crazy re-arranging my nice, even sand. Now I've got hills. Silly fish.

The tank is cycled, and is also home to 2 Gourami's, 3 Platys, 6 Harlequin Tetras, and a couple of ghost shrimp I'd bought to feed the Goby with. Only after doing research did I realize the chances of him eating them are slim (although I haven't seen them in a day or so. HmMMmm?). He's got a nice cozy little cove he stays in during the day, after digging out the sand beneath the root ornament. I even set up a broad, fake leaf over the front so it seemed more secluded to him. He's very active at night from what I've seen. During the day, he normally just rests and ventures out every once inna while. He's somewhat protective of his spot also, and chases the Gourami's away when they get too curious.

After the introduction, now it's time for business. I don't know if he's eating. I've tried frozen bloodworms, but the damn gourami's and tetras tear them up before they ever get to him. I've tried frozen shrimp thingies, same thing. I have also tried algae and shrimp pellets, they fall to the sand and I usually try and get them to fall near his little cove, if not in it. He doesn't seem to show interest in them. Once, and only once, I -think- he -may- have tried to eat one of the shrimp pellets, his mouth opened up and gaped but if he tried to suck it in it didn't work. The Gourami's (who pretty much master the tank), usually find the pellets within a few minutes and begin picking at them, knocking them all around the tank. I check back after an hour or so and the pellets are gone, but I don't know if either the Gourami's ate them, if the Dragon ate them, or if they just got buried in the sand.

I -have- noticed that the ghost shrimp seem to have disappeared. I saw one today, there used to be three. The sand -is- white though they could behiding, or maybe he buried them when he was digging around. Is it possible he might've eaten those? I've read the Dragon Goby has a small throat, despite his large mouth. How can I be sure he's eating? Some have said to try and hand feed him, but I honestly don't know how. Everything I put in that tank is gobbled up before it gets to him, and what does get to him he doesn't really go after. In fact, he usually swims away from my hand. He doesn't go to the surface, like some have said theirs do. He doesn't really cling to the glass either, only once in awhile and even then only for a few seconds. Any advice on that would be appreciated!!

Now here's another part of my inquiry. Like I said before, I have 3 Platys, 2 Gouramis, and 6 Harlequin Tetras. I -really- like this Dragon Goby and I'm fully willing to make the FW aquarium into a Brackish one, I've read the Platus can tolerate the salt level that he needs, 1.005 I believe. But what about the Gouramis and Tetras? Will they be alright with that sort of salinity? If I do go with Brackish I will start small, probably adding in salt once every week or so until it reaches the salinity needed for the Goby to be comfortable. I'm just worried about my other guys, because they were there first and they're all very delightful to watch.

Sorry for the tremendous reading in this post. :P I just want to do this right and keep my Goby healthy and happy, but also not neglect my other fishies. Oh, and the tank is a 20 gallon. I know he's going to need a lot more room, and I'm planning on eventually getting anywhere from a 50-70 gallon hopefully by the end of the year, which will end up being fully brackish I think, and a nice new home for him. But until then, like I said, I wanna make him as comfortable as possible.
 
First off you can take the bag of rocks out, it is not necessary. Most of your "good" bacteria is in your filter. As for the Gouramis and Tetra they should not be house it brackish water. Your Goby should be housed in brackish as soon as possible. To make brackish water you must use marine salt. So if you can get this new tank of yours sooner than later. To feed the Goby ask what the pet store was feeding them and start with that. He is also, to my understanding a scavenger and not a predator. Since it is most active at night that is when you should try and feed him. Here is a good read that may help you out some. Dragon Goby link
 
First off you can take the bag of rocks out, it is not necessary. Most of your "good" bacteria is in your filter. As for the Gouramis and Tetra they should not be house it brackish water. Your Goby should be housed in brackish as soon as possible. To make brackish water you must use marine salt. So if you can get this new tank of yours sooner than later. To feed the Goby ask what the pet store was feeding them and start with that. He is also, to my understanding a scavenger and not a predator. Since it is most active at night that is when you should try and feed him. Here is a good read that may help you out some. Dragon Goby link

Wow, that was quick! :P Kinda sucks, though. So if I were to change this aquarium to brackish I'd have to find a new home for my Gouramis and Tetras.. Hmm.. The only other tank I have is a ten gallon that is home to a single, very spoiled little Betta. Maybe if I put a tank divider in..

Thanks for the link! I found it before and read it, it actually gave me a lot of the information I know now. I understand he's not a predator, despite his teeth. From what I've read they like to filter their food out from the sand they suck in and spit back out. I think my next tactic is to try and 'hide' the food in the sand, so maybe the gourami's can't find it and he'll get to it eventually.

I just put an algae wafer in about half an hour ago and watched for a good five minutes. He completely ignored it, despite it being less than an inch from his head. The gourami's found it though and picked at it, he just kinda scooted aside and let them do what they did. The wafer's gone now, don't know if the gourami's finished it off or it became buried or maybe he ate it. Argh.

And believe me, I know I need to get the bigger tank soon as possible. I don't want to take him back though, for fear someone less capable or less willing to accomadate him would buy him. So until then, I'm gonna do what I can to make sure he's comfy.
 
Here is some reading material a fellow member (Maximus) dug up earlier. Dragon Goby

Woo! Thanks! :D

And omg, success! I checked back in on him and I decided to toss a few frozen bloodworms in there. Naturally, the other fish gobbled up most the stuff, but a couple of single peices made it byhis cove. He nibbled and then ate one :D ..Granted it was just a tiny, tiny peice, but he ate it! :D
 
Puff Daddy seems to be setting you straight with your dragon goby. They are problematic fish, and many people who buy them keep them badly. But if you give them what they want, they're very hardy and live quite a long time -- and get remarkably big! One of the species sold as the dragon goby can reach 50 cm in length, though other species are somewhat smaller.

Anyway, I agree with Puff Daddy that brackish water is the way to go. A high salinity isn't required, but at least some saltiness does seem to be essential to long term health. When kept in freshwater, they seem to last around a year but rarely much longer.

You will need to rehome the tetras and gouramis. Completely unsuitable for this aquarium.

Marine salt is essential because it does two things -- it raises the salinity, yes, but it also makes the water hard/alkaline, and this aspect is equally important. You only need an SG of 1.005 or so for dragon gobies, so the cost of salt will be low (that's about 1/5th the amount of salt used in a marine tank).

Algae is essential to health in the long term. Put the wafers in at night when the other fish can't eat them -- the goby will eat them then. Another useful food is live brine shrimp -- on of the funniest things to watch is these giant gobies filter feeding in midwater by gulping at the brine shrimp.

There's info in the Aqualog brackish water fishes book and in my book care of Naomi Delventhal, so if you want to buy or borrow those books from somewhere, you'd probably find that very useful. You'd also learn a lot more about brackish aquaria generally.

Cheers, Neale
 
Puff Daddy seems to be setting you straight with your dragon goby. They are problematic fish, and many people who buy them keep them badly. But if you give them what they want, they're very hardy and live quite a long time -- and get remarkably big! One of the species sold as the dragon goby can reach 50 cm in length, though other species are somewhat smaller.

Anyway, I agree with Puff Daddy that brackish water is the way to go. A high salinity isn't required, but at least some saltiness does seem to be essential to long term health. When kept in freshwater, they seem to last around a year but rarely much longer.

You will need to rehome the tetras and gouramis. Completely unsuitable for this aquarium.

Marine salt is essential because it does two things -- it raises the salinity, yes, but it also makes the water hard/alkaline, and this aspect is equally important. You only need an SG of 1.005 or so for dragon gobies, so the cost of salt will be low (that's about 1/5th the amount of salt used in a marine tank).

Algae is essential to health in the long term. Put the wafers in at night when the other fish can't eat them -- the goby will eat them then. Another useful food is live brine shrimp -- on of the funniest things to watch is these giant gobies filter feeding in midwater by gulping at the brine shrimp.

There's info in the Aqualog brackish water fishes book and in my book care of Naomi Delventhal, so if you want to buy or borrow those books from somewhere, you'd probably find that very useful. You'd also learn a lot more about brackish aquaria generally.

Cheers, Neale

Ah, thank you for your reply! I have a question, the live brine shrimp, will the other fish eat those also? Like I said, my biggest problem is my other fish eating everything. I'm sure if they couldn't do that, he wouldn't have such a hard time eating. He just needs time to find the food. I've tried putting the wafers in at night, it's a no-go, though. Those damned fishies find the things and pick at them until they're gone, even when I've just fed all of them! I'm gonna try and put the other fishies in another aquarium. The tetras I -may- try to home in with my betta, they're pretty tightly schooled so maybe they won't bother him and vice versa. If that doesn't work out I'll just have to get another, smaller aquarium until I get my big one to rehome the dragon in.

I also know that brackish is the way to go, like I said in my first post, I'm fully willing to accomodate this little guy so he'll be healthy and happy. I did read that 1.005 is the recommended salinity. I'm not worried about the cost of the salt. Also, last night I did have some success getting him to eat. He managed to gulp down a single peice of bloodworm that the other fish had overlooked. So I'm hoping that'll start things off, not to mention that just last night I read it takes anywhere from a few days to maybe even a month for the goby to become comfortable in the aquarium, after he's comfortable maybe he won't be so shy about laying claim to his own food.

Live brine shrimp.. D'you just buy those like the little ghost shrimps?
 
You can normally buy live brine shrimp at any fish store. They're the commonest live food, I think. You can also buy them frozen, but to be honest none of my fish ever seemed wild about frozen brine shrimp.

Violet gobies are slow feeders, and you need to accommodate that. One option might be to put in quite a lot of food at once -- maybe a whole "cube" of (wet) frozen bloodworms. The tetras should be satiated before they're all gone, and then the violet goby will feed. You could also try some small chunks of prawn or mussel. Maybe some small live earthworms. I'd also try frozen lobster eggs (you buy these from stores catering to marine fishkeepers). Really, read around the web and in books, and try a bunch of different foods and see what happens. These aren't difficult fish to keep, once you have the food and salty water aspects covered, and the adults are truly impressive.

Cheers, Neale
 
My Violet gobies were inherited from my stepdaughter. She got them for her tropical tank and they never got anything to eat. Plus it was freshwater. I have them in brackish with a few ghost shrimp and some Endler's Livebearers. Neither of those is much competition for them. At first they would not eat. They would gulp at the food but then I would see it shoot out their gills. The frozen bloodworms really got them started. After several days on the frozen bloodworms they were ready to try shrimp pellets and algae wafers. The shrimp pellets melt pretty fast. I break the algae wafers into pieces and they suck at them. They will take the freeze-dried bloodworms now. At first they hid all day but now they are out and active and go into high gear when I lift the lid. I did see one inhale a tiny Endler's fry. The fry went for a bit of food by the gobie's mouth right when the Goby did the gulp. I did not see it come out the gills but it might of as it was really tiny. I tried mine on sardine and they could not eat it unless it was really pulverised. Might will also eat Nori, dried seaweed from the grocery store. They are a lot of fun but just do not handle competion when it comes to food.

Neale, I got your book! Terrific write-up on the Violet Gobies!
 
Here's an update!

My goby is now eating happily! :D He feasts on frozen bloodworms after they've been mushed. The suggestion to toss a whole cube in there was great, while the gouramis and other fish chowed down on one side of the tank, he had a nice pile all his own. It's so great watching him eat! He even nibbles the food!

Now the moment the bloodworms hit the water his mouth is going! He knows when to eat! I'm so happy about this progress. Soon I'll try some other types of food such as the algae wafers.

This fish is mainly nocturnal, right? He doesn't seem to move around much during the day, he's cleared himself out a hollow spot in the side corner of the tank and seems to reside there for the most part.

Uhh, randomly, a question about sand as substrate. My 20 gallon aquarium uses a 30 gallon filter and it's been making a loud ruckus lately! Definatley unappealing to the ears. I've cleaned it out a dozen times and it still does this! The part of the filter where the magnet is and the blue twirly thingy seem to be the source of the noise, which is a loud razing clicking sound. Any thoughts on that?
 
Can be either Air in the impellor or a broken one. If its broken most filters will have a list of part numbers allowing for purchase of a replacement. IF its just air then generally a couple of knock while the filter is running should dislodge the air and thus remove the noise.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top