Do You Need To Reseal Your Aquarium?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

deecaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am new to the forum and would like to get peoples advise on whether or not you should reseal your aquarium every 5 years?
I have had tanks for most of my life, some bought new and some bought used and have never had to rseal any of them. Yet today I was looking through the local classifieds and seen a posting where someone was warning people not to buy used because they need to be resealed every 5 years no matter what. I have never heard this before I always thought that you would only need to do this if you had a leak or noticed wearing in the seal.
Currently I have a 125 gal set up that has been up and running for about 4 years so if most people agree with this person posting then I am going to start looking into it.
Please send me your opinion on this
thanks

Hello everyone
I am new to the forum and would like to get peoples advise on whether or not you should reseal your aquarium every 5 years?
I have had tanks for most of my life, some bought new and some bought used and have never had to rseal any of them. Yet today I was looking through the local classifieds and seen a posting where someone was warning people not to buy used because they need to be resealed every 5 years no matter what. I have never heard this before I always thought that you would only need to do this if you had a leak or noticed wearing in the seal.
Currently I have a 125 gal set up that has been up and running for about 4 years so if most people agree with this person posting then I am going to start looking into it.
Please send me your opinion on this
thanks

/
i wouldnt have thought there is any need for every 5 years maybe every 20 years?

There is no need to reseal your tanks every 5 yrs. The person advertising probably works in a petshop and wants to sell new tanks. I have still got a tank that is 20years old and the silicon is holding up.
A similar rumour went around back in the 80s where you had to use a special silicon if you wanted to keep saltwater fish. It was started by a shop that sold a lot of tubes of silicon, but it was a hoax and not necessary.

Stay with your original thoughts and don't bother doing it unless the tank is leaking or shows significant wear or degradation in the silicon. This can entail air bubbles or the colour changing to cream or white.

I believe its pot luck and depends how well ur tank was done when it was made.

some last 10 to 20 years without needing resealed no one can put a date on it

thank you everyone for your responses......I thought it to be a bit strange as well since I have never had to do it once on any tank.
Now hopefully I haven't opened a can of worms by saying that and run into a problem.

+1 for the posters above. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

AC

Agreed, I remember in the 80's about the special silicone for aquiriums especially the salt water ones haha what a hoex mostly he lfs do that. I Have 2 breeder tanks and just sealed one today with silicone and the other is getting resealed soon aswell but going to try this new stuff on the market from a local store called no nails. I have used it for quick fixes with tanks only issue is its white and the quick fixes have worked so far. But my breeder tanks are well over 40 years old so really they should be leaking about now lol and they are!(not only that they where stored in a shed in winter conditions for over 10 years) And I have been using them for about 5 years of breeding now. :)

But mainly on a tank that is 4 years old I wouldn't even consider it the person with the upgrade in DIY for the 800 gal tank it lasted him over 10 years if I remember correctly! And that is huge! Alot bigger than anything we are using! Silicone usually lasts anywhere from 10-15 years and up!

If the tank is well preped and you use good sealer, 30 years life can be typical. If you don't prep or use poor sealer, well.... some are lucky to get a year...

TBH, if it ain't broke and it don't look like it's breaking, let it alone :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back