Do These Need Air On Transport?

Ficious

Fish Addict
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Des Moines, IA
i just dropped a chinese trap door snail into my community tank.

my lfs put the snail in a bag w/o water. it was about 30 min before i got home

are they ok w/o air like that? he hasnt come out yet....also my other fish seem to peck at him lol. is this normal??
 
Most likely. I've had nerite and apple snails survive overnight out of water when they escape or are overlooked on lettuce. They seem to clamp their shell shut and wait until they're back in water. I've read they can do this if there's something in the water that they don't like, too - they just clamp shut and wait it out. He might be shy for a while, I had an apple snail stay in his shell for days when I got him. As long as the trapdoor is tight, he's still alive in there.

As for fish bothering him, they're probably just checking out the new addition to their environment. Unless they keep doing it once the snail's out and about, I wouldn't worry.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top