Do Swordtails Produce Larger Fry....

rossyt99

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had experience of Swordtails/other livebearers having larger fry after about their 4th batch.....?

I am enquiring, as after my Swordtail gave birth last night, I can't see any small colourless babies, but there are some with colour/ larger than usual in the tank.
>>These are probably fry off previous batches, and the newborns may have been eaten by the larger fry already/ or they have came out bigger than previous fry batches (?).

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated....

When some mollies and swords give birth, depending on size, thier fry can be a decent yes.

i would have said that there is a good possibility that a larger/older livebearer may give birth to a more mature fry. A good chance that she was overdue and they have developed their colours inside the mother. No reason why this cant happen i would say

i would have said that there is a good possibility that a larger/older livebearer may give birth to a more mature fry. A good chance that she was overdue and they have developed their colours inside the mother. No reason why this cant happen i would say

>I'm hoping that is the case, as I can sell them/exchange them on more quickly!
After examining the fry more, I have counted around 10 slightly-coloured fry at around 4mm in length.....She usually has about 30 fry of a smaller size, with no colour. They tend to develop colour after a week or more, so maybe she has been over-due and the fry have then grown more inside her as you suggested....?

> She was fatter than she was in the past pregnancies, and about a week later than normal 'drop' of fry.

(I'll stop searching for the fry with Gran's reading glasses now! :rolleyes: )

The size of the fry depends of several factors, mainly if the mother is feed well on good quality foods they will produce larger eggs.
The mothers don't feed the young in any way other then the egg and egg yolk.

So poor feed fish either produce small or no eggs.

the females can hold back ther fry a short time if stressed but once they hatch she need to give birth quite quickly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back