Do Mother Mollies Eat Their Baby's Straight Away / During Birth?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bradleysam

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im quite new to the whole keeping fish hobby. It started off a few weeks ago with a £50 21 litre tank, some nice fish... Then it went off-plan. I had to spend £200 and upgrade to a 78 litre tank and I have 11 babie mollys.

I also have a pregnant molly who gave birth 2 weeks ago. I didn't acully realise I had baby fish until probably a few hours after she had given birth. I've got them all now in a nice net seperated from the other fish - and they seem to be fine.

The net measures up to an ok size - plenty big enough for the tiny fish. I know that the big fish will eat the babies - hense I'm keeping them seperate. Trying to be a little more prepared I want to know weather it is safe to put the pregnant fish into one of these a few days before she is due to give birth... (this is what I am already keeping my current babies in). [URL="http://www.equarium.com.au/files/store/images/netbreeder.jpg"]http://www.equarium.com.au/files/store/images/netbreeder.jpg [/URL] Obviouley I don't want my babies to be eaten straight away by the mother - and I can't supervise her 24 hours a day to make sure she is removed straight away after birth. Or should I use something like this... If so when should I use it and how. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LG-FLOATING-AQUARIUM...1QQcmdZViewItem

I do have the smaller 21 litre tank ready for the 2-week pregnant female - I was planning on putting her in here alone just so she isn't bothered by the other male fish. I was also considering putting here into a contraption (the one in the 2nd link) when she is due to give birth... and then replacing her into the tank when she is finished... Leaving the babies in the bottom part of the contraption? Will this work? How will the babies know to swim through to the bottom? How will they get oxygen stuck in the bottom of this breeder?

Please help! Im worried about how much time I have now too!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i have not bred mollies, but from what i have read, if sufficient food is not provided, the mother molly might consume some of her fry, though she will probably be too tired to do anything after having given birth. i would advise you to remove her from the tank after she has given birth. also try and keep some plants or hidey-holes in the birthing tank so that the fry can hide.

IME it varies with the individuality of the fish. I have had livebearers that have turned round during labour and snacked on the fry they've just pushed out, others that have coexisted peacefully. I've never noticed that it is anything to do with how much you feed her: if live fry happens to be her favourite food, there's not a lot you can do about that. I wouldn't put Mum in a breeding net though; it may stress her out and make her abort the fry- and it will give her easy access to them should she start feeling peckish. Heavy planting is a better idea. And tbh I wouldn't overstrain myself saving every single one. She will go on having babies once a month, you can only find homes for so many. If you plant the tank (and let some plants float on the surface) it gives a chance for a percentage of the fittest to escape, which is all Nature intended anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back