Do I Need These Filters?

holidayinn

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 11, 2003
Messages
709
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hi All

I have a 150g tank which is being filtered by a FX5 and a Eheim 2028 and 2 fluval internal filters. My question is do I need to keep the Internal filters? Are they really adding extra filtration?

I have a 35ish gallon tank, that I was hoping to use as a quarantine tank. If I was to place these 2 internal filters (cycled), will they be okay to filter this tank? There are only sponges in these filters, should I add some matured filter media to them?

The reason I ask is my 7" EBJD is not too well, and sustained a wound. He is currently solo in a 100gallon tank, but I get new stock for the 100 gallon thursday, 6 Parachromis Mota's (all juvenile) about 3.5". I don't want to keep the Mota's with the EBJd in case something happens. So I was hoping to re-locate the EBJD in the 35 gallon for a few days and then return him to the 150.

Any Advice? Suggestions? Opinions?
 
Imo the more filteration the better.
It gives you more oppertunity for stocking etc.
No harm in over filtering.
I could be wrong though!

YF
 
With an FX5 and eheim 2028 on the 150g, I would think thats more than enough filtration, is it heavily stocked?

You would be fine to move the internal filters over (assuming they have been running in the 150g for more than 4 weeks) to effectively cycle the 35g for the JD. So long as they are mature, you wont need to add anymore media to them either.
 
Thanks Youngfisher and minxfishy for your replies. The 150 is I would say is currently understocked 1 Sev, 1 Choc Cichlid, 8 Geo Red Head Tapajo's, 2 Sajica and 8 Clown Loaches (3-6"). All are juvenile except the Sajica.

Definitely agree the more filtration the better, but I don’t think the two internals are really doing much for the system. The FX5 is a beast and the 2028 used to filter my Rio 400 admirably. The only things the internals add are bumping up the flow rate.

The internals have been in my 150 for over 2-3 months, definitely matured and cycled. I want to put both in my 35 so that I can restore my EBJD to its rightful glory.

I might be asking the same question again (sorry minxfishy) but will these two internals with matured sponges filter the 35 without having to add any of the filter media from the big filters?

I will look into purchasing a smaller external eheim, but right now need a quick fix temporary solution for the EBJD.
 
Yes the two internals will cycle the 35g for the JD no problems, as they are both fully mature with enough bacteria to cope, especially as its just for one fish :good:

I just have the FX5 running on my rio 400 and mine is fully stocked.
 
Yes the two internals will cycle the 35g for the JD no problems, as they are both fully mature with enough bacteria to cope, especially as its just for one fish :good:

I just have the FX5 running on my rio 400 and mine is fully stocked.

Thanks Minxfishy, just what I needed to hear. He's got at least another day in the 100g till he gets moved to the 35, then back to the 150. The clown loaches were eating away at his head, so he has to be fully recovered before he goes back to the community set-up. It was quite disturbing to see!

A FX5 is a pure beast, I keep the 2028 so I can just clean one filter at a time. Stockings always understocked because I can never make my mind up what I want!! lol.
 
over filtration is good; but the flow in the tank might be overkill =/
 

Most reactions

Back
Top