DIY Tank Stand for 55 or 90 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How does the footprint affect it? Even though it isn't designed to hold that weight? I was just afraid all that weight would be on those bolts on the corners that hold the frame to the legs. I suppose I could fill it and see how it goes. Thank you!
Any idea on the diameter of those bolts?

You could do some masked support on that stand's lower level.

Measure the distance tween the floor and the underside of what would be the bottom shelf.

Find or buy a square fence post. Cut to length that will sit on the floor to the same shape, 4 or 5 inches away from the edges under the shelf. Sit the shelf on and secure it. The masked support blocks will be underneath and out of sight. They will support the center of the shelf and take a share of the weight off the bolts at each corner.

You could do some masked support on that stand's lower level.

Measure the distance tween the floor and the underside of what would be the bottom shelf.

Find or buy a square fence post. Cut to length that will sit on the floor to the same shape, 4 or 5 inches away from the edges under the shelf. Sit the shelf on and secure it. The masked support blocks will be underneath and out of sight. They will support the center of the shelf and take a share of the weight off the bolts at each corner.
That is exactly what I was thinking, but with PVC pipes! I was having a hard time explaining it. Would PVC pipes work ok?

That is exactly what I was thinking, but with PVC pipes! I was having a hard time explaining it. Would PVC pipes work ok?
You could but you need something solid but with some "give".

Plastic will become brittle over time, whereas wood will keep its shape and will be a "softer" but solid surface that will flex and accommodate/distribute the weight better for longer

You could but you need something solid but with some "give".

Plastic will become brittle over time, whereas wood will keep its shape and will be a "softer" but solid surface that will flex and accommodate/distribute the weight better for longer
Ohhhh ok. I believeeeee the square fence posts are 4x4. Would I need 2 or 4?

All I can find is pressure treated also, which I have heard is not great for indoor use.

If I use pvc pipes, would them being on carpet make any difference to the amount of give?

Just measured, the bolts are somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 inch

Ohhhh ok. I believeeeee the square fence posts are 4x4. Would I need 2 or 4?
The average fence post is around 6ft to 8ft long, so just the one will do. Cut it 2 x long and 2 x short according to the width and length of the area and then place them on the floor centrally underneath where the shelf will be fitted. Anchor the shelf to the stand's frame with nuts/bolts or screws. It is not necessary to glue the mask supports underneath the shelf as the weight of the aquarium will hold them in place firmly. Make sure that they are a few inches in from the visible edges so that when looking at the aquarium you do not see the wood underneath the shelf

I just realized the frame itself is not solid. I need my support to be around directly under the frame. Could I use some 1x2's? I just measured the frame and I think they are about the only thing that would fit. I don't care if it is visible or not, I can hide it with a floral garland or bit of lace of i needed to.

E887768D-6A08-42D0-9791-EDDC4CBE959D.jpeg

If the lower struts are simply there to keep the frame squared off...ie...not solid metal/wood...then its perfectly fine to slip the masked supports under the struts and maybe add an extra offcut piece under the center of the shelf to help distribute the weight...effectively the wood will carry the weight of the shelf and aquarium but look like the frame struts are doing so.

If the lower struts are simply there to keep the frame squared off...ie...not solid metal/wood...then its perfectly fine to slip the masked supports under the struts and maybe add an extra offcut piece under the center of the shelf to help distribute the weight...effectively the wood will carry the weight of the shelf and aquarium but look like the frame struts are doing so.
Ok, thank you! What are the struts? The things I’ve the center? If so, those are very flimsy, I don’t think they are supportive or structural

Ok, thank you! What are the struts? The things I’ve the center? If so, those are very flimsy, I don’t think they are supportive or structural
The struts are the bars that are on the lower level that are keeping the stand square....what you have the tape measure on....they support the stand and keep it rigid, they will not be designed to take any weight, hence using the mask blocks underneath to act as weight distribution for the struts

The struts are the bars that are on the lower level that are keeping the stand square....what you have the tape measure on....they support the stand and keep it rigid, they will not be designed to take any weight, hence using the mask blocks underneath to act as weight distribution for the struts
ohhhhh ok. That makes sense. Ok, perfect. Thank you! And if I use PVC pipe, there will be no give? If I use thick cardboard between the tank and the stand is this a problem?

ohhhhh ok. That makes sense. Ok, perfect. Thank you! And if I use PVC pipe, there will be no give? If I use thick cardboard between the tank and the stand is this a problem?
I would not use cardboard as that breaks down over time...if you want to put anything tween shelf and aquarium, I would recommend either a rubber bath mat cut to size (you may need two depending on the size - if using more than one, make sure they do not overlap) or some foam cut to size, half an inch or so thick.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back