DIY "bubble tank" set up

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

superman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
First off, look at this link and check out the pictures so you can visualize what I am talking about Bubble Tank

The problem in most amphibian tanks is that there is not enough water room for fish! And that discourages most of us in keeping fish with amphibians; this is where this tank solves this problem.

I made this addition to the tank using two pieces of plexi glass and silicone, and an extra set of hands (Cassie, my wife :wub: ) The only key measuremets for the two pieces of plexi is that they are exactly the same width as the tank. The Length of the plexi is up to you as far as how big of a bubbl you want.

As you can see in my tank, the side wall of the plexi misses the gravel by a good 3 iches. This will be enough room for your amphibians to swim under the bubble and climb up into it.

Run airline tube underneath the gravel and under the bubble, and put an airstone on the end so that it will bubble up into the plexi bubble you have made. Put a air pump on the other end (DUH!!)

Place a piece of wood or rock up inside the bubble so that the amphibious creatures can climb up onto it.

You may want to notch the back of the side wall near the bottom where it meets the wall of the aquarium so that air can escape in one spot when the bubble begins to overflow with air. Or you can just let the bubbles come out where they may, you can experiment with the asthetic qualities of this design.

NOTE: This bubble tank set up works best with bottom water dwelling amphibious creatures. It doesn't work very well with frogs (like fire belly frogs) because they go out of the bubble and up to the waters surface and don't realize where the plexi "bubble haven" is.

I have used newts with this set up and they do fine (before I added tropical fish) though you can't feed them crickets because the crickets obviously can't swim down into the bubble to breath. In most cases you will have to used freeze dried food that will sink to the bottom.

I am up for ideas on what amphibians can coexist in the same tropical temps as tropical fish can so we can all have amhiphibious creatures in with our tropical fish. If you have cold water fish then you are in a perfect situation to use this set up with newts like fire bellies and paddle tails for example.

Let me know what you think of this set up! :D

Most reactions

Back