Disturbing Substrate

Johnlenham

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lenham,Nr Maidstone. Kent
Is there anyway while doing water changes to not disturb the sand substrate to much?

Im having to do one a day as im going through a mini cycle and when im pouring in water it just blasts sand everywhere and shifts the sand covering the plants roots which is a real pain in the ass..

Any ideas? I tried using the gravel pump to take the water fom the bucket into the tank but I cant get the bucket high enough for it to work :unsure:
 
Is there anyway while doing water changes to not disturb the sand substrate to much?

Im having to do one a day as im going through a mini cycle and when im pouring in water it just blasts sand everywhere and shifts the sand covering the plants roots which is a real pain in the ass..

Any ideas? I tried using the gravel pump to take the water fom the bucket into the tank but I cant get the bucket high enough for it to work :unsure:


put a few BIG rocks where your pouring the water?

i have this problem with my gravel
 
plastic bag teathered to the edges of the tank, (clothes pegs would work), then pour the water into that slowly, but not super slow. Most of the bags these days have holes in the bottom for safety, (and if it doesn't you can make some!), the bag will disrupt the downward pressure of the water, but the holes will still let it fill the tank :)
 
Ive got a big red plastic plant in my tank and I just pour the water into the middle of that and it stops my gravel etc from getting kicked up :)
 
Not sure how big your tank is, but on my smaller tank I use a 2 litre jug to get the water back in and I just put my hand slightly below the water level and pour the water through my hand. Obviously with a huge tank, filling it with a bucket this wouldn't be an option unless you had arms like Popeye!!
 
If you're getting the "meteor just hit" look then you're simply pouring too fast.
In our 35L I put my hand on the water surface and hubby pours the water into my hand - no substrate disruption =)
 
If you're getting the "meteor just hit" look then you're simply pouring too fast.
In our 35L I put my hand on the water surface and hubby pours the water into my hand - no substrate disruption =)

Ah thought this might be the case.

Its a 65l tank and I have to lift a bucket of water about 5ft in the air to pour it in so its abit of a struggle, I shall try the diffrent techniques tomorrow
 
In that case I'd say you'd probably be better off with a small pump or something to get the water up there (or make a DIY python - best thing I ever did LOL).

*simply can't imagine having to lift water buckets as high as her head :huh:
 
In that case I'd say you'd probably be better off with a small pump or something to get the water up there (or make a DIY python - best thing I ever did LOL).

*simply can't imagine having to lift water buckets as high as her head :huh:

Hmmm maybe four foot then :P its atleast chest hight and im about 5ft 9. It would be easy as pie if I had away of getting the bucket higher than the tank as I could just use the gravel vac in reverse!
 
In that case I'd say you'd probably be better off with a small pump or something to get the water up there (or make a DIY python - best thing I ever did LOL).

*simply can't imagine having to lift water buckets as high as her head :huh:

Hmmm maybe four foot then :P its atleast chest hight and im about 5ft 9. It would be easy as pie if I had away of getting the bucket higher than the tank as I could just use the gravel vac in reverse!


I always used a gravel vac for emptying my old tank ,for filling it just use jug's or pans or something , as long it's done slowly will be fine , better to make a few trips to the sink than get a large bucket and end up having to rearange your tank as the water messed it up when poouring in ,
 

Most reactions

Back
Top