Discus Husbandry

mark good tankmates for discus include blue rams gold rams cardinal tetras rummynose tetras , anything calm that can handle the higher temps .

told you mate about these fish

I struggled at forst when I kept them cos I mollycoddled them and bought babies from a dodgy LFS but once you have bigger fish they are no different than any other cichlids IMO anddisplay the same bullish characteristics

Can't wait to get my tank going with them waiting for the substrate at the moment :good:

bet you cant wait mate. look forward to seeing some pics once you start setting it up

Mark, the picture that you posted probably was some sort of minor bactieral/fungal infection (cloud eye) in your fish. In such minor cases medication is very rarely needed though.

I would say Discus are not as delicate as some have been made to believe, but being a long time discus keeper I would not attempt to keep them without proper research, basic fish keeping knowledge and the time/dedication to execute all the water changes needed to keep them healthy (this along with diet is key.)

similar situation to marine by the sound of it

Mark, the picture that you posted probably was some sort of minor bactieral/fungal infection (cloud eye) in your fish. In such minor cases medication is very rarely needed though.

I would say Discus are not as delicate as some have been made to believe, but being a long time discus keeper I would not attempt to keep them without proper research, basic fish keeping knowledge and the time/dedication to execute all the water changes needed to keep them healthy (this along with diet is key.)

wasnt a bacterial infection connor just a minor neting injury which has now cleared. altho i do agree that while discus are not a hard as they are made out to be they are not a beginers fish and you do need a good sound knowledge of general fishkeeping and a certain level of dediction to succeed with them.

please dont take this thread the wrong way. in no way ami i claiming to be a discus expert , i am after all a new keeper of these fish . it just seems to me that there are far too many myths surrounding discus and that these myths put a lot of people off of keeping them.
imo waterchnges is a very variable thing depending on stocking levels , wether you have adults or juveniles etc. however i deffinately agree that a good high protein diet is essential due to discus poor metabolism .

wasnt a bacterial infection connor just a minor neting injury which has now cleared. altho i do agree that while discus are not a hard as they are made out to be they are not a beginers fish and you do need a good sound knowledge of general fishkeeping and a certain level of dediction to succeed with them.

please dont take this thread the wrong way. in no way ami i claiming to be a discus expert , i am after all a new keeper of these fish . it just seems to me that there are far too many myths surrounding discus and that these myths put a lot of people off of keeping them.
imo waterchnges is a very variable thing depending on stocking levels , wether you have adults or juveniles etc. however i deffinately agree that a good high protein diet is essential due to discus poor metabolism .

Mark, it probably was a netting injury (ie scratch) but I would put money on that white growth being a minor a infection from the the scratch.

Water changes are definitley a variable, but Discus specifically do need clean water. Ammonia and Nitrite should be zero and ideally Nitrates should be below 10 (this is where Discus differ from most other fish.) It would take some careful monitoring to figure out exactly how much water needs to be changed in order to keep it at acceptable levels. Discus are also easily stunted by the D.O.Cs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) in the water. This is why large and frequent water changes must be done for small and growing Discus.

Most reactions

trending

Back