Deep-green Fluffy Algae Removal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D34DLY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had algae in my tank for awhile now (from about when I first cycled it) and to be honest seen no hazards with it. When healthy and not overgrown and suffocating, I thought it added a strange decorative feature. However upon cleaning yesterday, I realised that enough was enough - It was growing up the sides of the tank and even smothering my poor Anacharis and Amazing Sword plants. Personally I had always put it down to their size, "Well they just keep trapping the algae and help it grow" was all I said.

So I'd like to ask, is it possible to get rid of this?

Its now making my amazon swords leaves yellow (after wiping them free of algae), and in fact now no longer looks so nice.

I have to admit that my lighting hours are not definite, although on a 8-9 hour photo period the lighting is often off for the morning due to a power outage while Im away, then on until about 10-11pm until I have to turn it off for sleep (meaning it has been on for about 7hours.

However for no reason are the lights on for over 9hours.

Would you consider the cause to be low flow? I do have a daily bubble wall, and an internal filter, so I suppose this could be arguable.

If you need more information, thats fine.

Thanks!

First thing I'd tell you to get is a TIMER. Having odd lighting can be the cause of it too, Different hours of the day on and off, I'd get a timer and set it to 6 hours a day. Also what ferts are you using for your pants? Are you overdosing them?

Overdosing ferts doesn't cause algae mate, sounds like you have Blue Green Algae, often caused by low nutrient levels and poor flow in the tank, best way to get rid is a 5 day black out, by blackout it means no peaking and leave it covered completely in pitch black darkness, that should rid most of it and then I'd sort out the flow as I doubt you have low nutrients if you have low lighting.

Overdosing ferts doesn't cause algae mate, sounds like you have Blue Green Algae, often caused by low nutrient levels and poor flow in the tank, best way to get rid is a 5 day black out, by blackout it means no peaking and leave it covered completely in pitch black darkness, that should rid most of it and then I'd sort out the flow as I doubt you have low nutrients if you have low lighting.

I thought adding too much ferts would cause algae to feed off it?
big_boss.gif

Yeah the algae will feed from it but it wont cause algae if you get what I mean.

;) it's also not even an algae lol its Cyanobacteria :).

Hi ya. Techen, I do have a timer - And have only ever used ferts at the beginning. However, with my new project on the rise etc., I have found that there is no point as I may not even be having those plants. The reason for on off lighting is due to the electric going in my house periodically, guess my family isn't too stuck on the idea of "Top-up Weekly", more of "We'll top-up when it goes!" So yeah, when it goes when we're out for a few hours, nothing we can do!

Also, are you sure low flow is the cause? I have my internal filter positioned below the water (no water trickling) and have an air pump creating a bubble wall running the length of the tank on from about 9-10am until 8pm. This is also definitely longer than which the lights are on for, meaning when the lights and bubble wall is out - Its the sleeping time for fish :lol:

So you suggest a black out?... Would it be better to do such once I've managed to revive the Amazon swords? My sister is having my Siamese Fighter, alongside the tank, once I have built my 222 litre, so whatever accessories I dont want, she'll be having. So I can't exactly hand over a dieing plant, as I'll be watching over my sister for the first months during cleaning etc. (She's beginning to understand the nitrogen cycle etc, )

What'd you think?

I would suggest cleaning/rinsing the Amazon swords and setting them aside in another bowl or vase. Don't worry is the plant top is above water.

Not a good idea as the plant will melt then start growing immersed and melt then do the opposite when it goes back into the aquarium and cause ammonia spikes.

It depends on the time the plant tips are out of the water.

Amazon Sword plants are bog plants that grow either partially or fully submersed. It is not unusual - if conditions allow - for these plants to grow above the surface of the aquarium's water. Most store-bought Amazon Swords are grown hydroponically (e.g. Petco snail-free). If neccessary, the acclimation cycle would not be any different.

See http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/amazon-sword/ for some further information regarding the Amazon Sword in-the-wild.

Lol its been in the tank, there's no point letting the leaf tips dry out out of water having to cut them off and re grow again.

OP, trust me just leave it fully submerged. ;)

Would you consider the cause to be low flow? I do have a daily bubble wall, and an internal filter, so I suppose this could be arguable.

Bubble wall or any type of air pump along with plants is not a good idea. It gases off the little dissolved from the water almost immediately. If anything, in a planted tank it's better to be used at night, not during the day. But this will make your plants struggle regardless. The powerhead making waves on the surface(not splashing) is enough to provide oxygen. Also, it's not only how much flow, but whether the flow is distributed equaly around all parts of the tank without dead areas(where the fish poop gathers normally)
If the fish and fish bioload itself don't produce enough or all the necessary nutritients, then the plants will struggle. Algae is a lot more flexible to conditions, and will adjust to use another nutritient once the initial one is depleted. Plants will not adjust to this though, so algae overtakes, especially with longer lightning period.
If it's Blue Green Algae/cyanobacteria, then it's often caused by either low flow reaching the affected area of the tank, or low nitrAtes as well. There's more info out there on it too I guess.

Ok, so I think my filter has just got too slow :) I'm not investing in a new one though as Ill be getting rid of this tank soon :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back