danio lifespan?

kazzzagreen

Reaction score
any ideas on the average lifespan of leopard and zebra danios. Two websites I've looked at say 2 years and two others said 5 years.

I'd say anything from 2-4 years, but PM The-Wolf for a more accurate answer - he's our resident danio expert. ;)

average in home aquariums is 3 years
although 4 years is not unheard of.

I think most are 3 years like wolf said, but you pretty much determine the life span of your fish.

>>> but you pretty much determine the life span of your fish.

At the lower end, that is very true. It is a sad fact that many aquarium fish are thought of as short lived, when in fact, it is remarkable that they managed to stay alive at all in some of the conditions they are kept in.

A fish of good wild stock with adequate genetic diversity, living in it's natural environs and relatively stress free may live for 20 years. The same species, bred on a farm, inbred with all kinds of genetic weaknesses, kept in sub-optimal conditions, stressed with being moved several times and dumped into an amateurs tank with the wrong water and the wrong tanks mates may do well to live 2-3 years, maybe only months.

Small fish live short lives, larger fish longer. That is only a guideline though. Some fish are notoriously long lived. Most great big fish are sold to totally unprepared idiots and last a few months at best. Some Killies are designed to be born, grow, breed and die within a few months, some within a few weeks.

I had a small group of Barbus vittatus many years ago. A now uncommon fish in the trade, but a nice little fish, 50-60mm, never bothers anyone and just goes about it's own business. I have no idea how old they were when I got them, but they were all still there 10 years later.

Thanks for all the replies. I have had my danios for 18 months now and they are doing great. I did lose one when I first bought them but none since.

I had heard the saying 'small fish live short lives' so I thought mine were doing great. Still got them for a long while then I hope.

Two have got long fins and they look like they are flying when they are in full swim.

One last question about them though. What are your thoughts on keeping them in a coldwater tank with say goldies?

kazzzagreen said:
What are your thoughts on keeping them in a coldwater tank with say goldies?
[snapback]925436[/snapback]​

danios are sub-tropical fish and not ideally suited to be kept in cold water for long periods.
goldfish should only be kept with goldfish and other coldwater fish

Agreed. If the unheated goldfish tank is indoors and never gets really cold, the White Cloud Mountain Minnows will work.

Often indoor tanks in heated rooms are suprisingly warm. If you measure your tanks temperature continuosly you may well find the tank remains in the sub-tropical temperature range the whole year, in which case, you'd wonder about keeping goldfish in it which are really cold water fish.

Most reactions

Back