Cycling An Aquarium Faster?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFreak95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon and I am going to be moving the stock to a 30 gallon in a couple of months. Could I cycle the aquarium faster by adding all the rocks from the 10 gallon with the beneficial bacteria all ready on them to the 30 gallon and putting a piece of the old filter media as a seed for the new one?

The rocks won't help (much), the old media will.

Why don't you just move the old filter, decor and fish into the 30 gallon in one go?

The rocks won't help (much), the old media will.

Why don't you just move the old filter, decor and fish into the 30 gallon in one go?
I need a stronger filter for the 30. I am going to use sand for the 30 with rocks from my the 10 gallon and I thought the rocks and gravel contained a lot of the bacteria so I thought maybe the bacteria on the rocks would spread the bacteria to the sand and help with the nitrogen cycle. Anyone else have any input?

Rocks/gravel etc contain very little bacteria in proportion to your filter.

Take all the media out of the old filter whn you get the new one, and shove all the old media into the new filter. The bacteria will colonise the new sponges and you can eventually start replacing the old sponges with new ones :)

In that case. move the fish and the old media into the new filter at the same time. There's a negligable amount of bacteria on the decor or substrate (unless you're running UG filtration).

In that case. move the fish and the old media into the new filter at the same time. There's a negligable amount of bacteria on the decor or substrate (unless you're running UG filtration).
+1

30 gallons is 113 litres, so whichever is the next one up starting from 113 W.. I think that would be 150 W.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back