Cumberland Slider + Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lyss

Reaction score
Recently, I've been considering getting a turtle. I researched a bit and found a breed of turtle that fits all of my preferences. My boyfriend wants to get a large tank to put fish in (150 gallons) and was wondering if I could also fit in a Cumberland Slider as well without it killing the fish. I have read that they do eat fish, but do they usually eat them if given another food source? If they do then could you possibly suggest a small-medium breed that is an active semi-aquatic and isn't particularly aggressive? Sorry if that's too specific but I'm a bit picky, haha.

I don't know about that specific type of slider but know of others kept successfully with fish. Cichlids and rainbows..danios might work as they're pretty fast as well. It will help if you build a rock structure in setup. Place for fish to escape and can be used to create basking platform for turtle.

Personally, I could never 100% trust any turtle. Feeding them won’t necessarily discourage them. Turtles will eat when they can. And sometime I think they just get bored.

That said my boyfriend has two red eardd sliders that he keeps with guppies. The turtles eat them some but the guppies reproduce faster. A big tank with hiding spots helps the guppies too. Personally I feel bad for the guppies but depends on your outlook on it. Is it poor guppies or just the cycle of life?

If you are getting a young turtle it might work to get some larger fish that the turtle can’t eat, but turtles grow quickly. Also most young turtles are actually more carnivorous whereas older turtles eat more plants. So the idea that a young turtle will be less likely to attack isn’t true.

I have heard of success from people who keep cory catfish with turtles. Maybe because they are bottom dwellers and good at hiding? Idk but its worth considering.

Fast moving fish are an option. Danios maybe but there is still a liklihood that they will be eaten within a few momths. Personally I wouldn’t buy any fish that are expensive certainly without knowing your turtles disposition. So at least start out with some inexpensive minnows or something and see how your turtle reacts.

Last edited:
I don't know about Cumberland slider but I think they are the same as red slider I kept guppy and shrimp with her in a very big pond and they are doing well,except for shrimp are being eating by a Anabas testudineus recently come in

I have raised RES turtles for over 25 years, They will go after small fish like minnows but the fish are usually to fast for them to catch if you have a big tank. They will eat dead or sick fish that they can catch but also eat pond fish food, leafy green vegetables and bugs like june bugs and worms.

In general, turtles and fish do not belong together in the same aquarium. In most cases, the aquarium will be much too small for both. The turtle must have a decent sized area of "land" completely out of the water in order to crawl out and dry its shell to avoid health issues. And some form of heat source over the "land" area soit can bask to dry out. This turtle species is native to southern USA. It has an average life span of 40-50 years.

The turtle should be expected to eat any fish that it can catch and overpower. If you don't mind that happening, avoid the temptation to put large fish with a small turtle, as the fish will likely eat food intended for turtles.
Years ago, I simply had to keep fish and turtles together. I had the most success with white cloud mountain minnows. They were fast enough, and alert enough, to avoid the turtles for quite some time. But, eventually, they were eaten.

This thread is 2 years old. The OP hasn't been seen since 2018

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back