Cucumber

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
7,580
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Leicestershire U.K
i put a slice of cucumber in my tank about an hour ago and none of my fish, snails, shrimp are going near it...... i have trapped it under a small stone to weigh it down, is this ok?
 
I tried it with my cichlids, I cut a 1/4inch thick slice, peeled it, and then poked a lead strip through it near the edge to hold it down.

The first morning the soft inner part had gone, but on the following 3 nights I tried the same nothing happened, I decided the first night was an aberation (perhaps a fish swam through it?) and bothered no longer.

I find they like peas and sweetcorn much more, I just put them when frozen into a cup, pour on hot water out the kettle, wait 5 mins, remove the outer capsule by squeezing them, then just drop the 2 inner halves in the tank, luckily they sink. And all my fish love them.

ta-ra

doris
 
If you only put it in an hour ago, then give it time, leave it overnight (I often leave mine in a couple of nights).

I find pretty much most of my fish love it, including plecs, cichlids, rainbows, black ghost knife loves the stuff too :good: Often fish prefer it after its softened up in the water over time.
 
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I just implied, leave it overnight.

Good idea minxfishy
 
one of my rams has just dived in and had a nibble..... :good: its really for my snails n shrimp but i guess first come first served!!!
 
Your corydoras will appreciate it too :good: Mine enjoy it, along with lettuce too.
 
only if they stop flying about the tank for a second and notice its there. lol. my corys are bonkers :hyper:
 
They will like it and the next time you put some it they will remember and be more willing to eat some.
 
Another thing I do with peas is after I cook them I smear them along rocks, leaving a layer of pea upon it's surface.

My fish love to scrape away at the pea-ey film.

doris
 
i had 1 ram nibbling but not too interested.... cucumber still there this afternoon!!!! maybe ill try peas next
 
Mine normally leave it 24 hours and then its gone in a flash once they start. I presume the 24 hours softens it up for them.
 
over 24 hours mine is gone!

they love lettuce aswell; make sure you blanche it first
 

Most reactions

Back
Top