Crawfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here's the deal.
If you catch a wild animal and introduce it to your "tame" tank- you can introduce diseases. Be careful.

Crayfish "crawdads" eat fish. They grow fast and will hunt your fish down and gobble them up!

They also love to dig. Plants are not a problem for the hungry crayfish- he barrels through them,lol.

They are great animals though, with muchos personality. If ya wanna risk disease/murder- then go ahead. ;)

If it is from a stream... and I am just guessing here... there is the added neggative that the warm water might not be good for him.

I have had several of them from a local stream in my tanks through out the years. When they got to big I would just put them back and get a smaller one. :D I had one in my 38 that got HUGE. They do like to have fish for snacks though! I wouldnt want to put one in my community tank, but I put them in with my bigger fish. They are fun to watch though, they are very good hunters to believe it or not.

MISTER_JECKEL said:
I have a 30 gallon planted community tank. Can i put crawfish from the local stream in it? I live in the mountains of North Carolina.
I wouldn't place them in a community tank. But alone, or with some of its own kind, is fine.

Some recommendations:

*No heater.

*Good filtration.

*Food that has calcium in it. (For the shell)

*Lots of "bubbles". (They seldom leave the bottom)

*Quite a lot of hiding places.

*Plants that can take some rough times.
You will have to replant them once a week. If they survive.

Excellent pets if you ask me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back