Couple fancy goldfish questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pleco510

Reaction score
Ok I've got a couple questions before my goldfish order arrives next week that I would like to clarify. If anyone has any info please pitch in.

First off I'm going to be keeping one oranda in a 29gallon.

OK, When you feed goldfish pellets you should soak them in water for 5-10min allowing them to sink to the bottom right?

Now the substrate that I currently use is around an inch in length so they're like little pebbles. As juvenile goldfish mouth's aren't that big will this impair their bottom feeding since they normally sift through the substrate for food?

If the answer is yes, what size substrate would be appropriate?

Also, what is the best way to grow out a juvenile Oranda? I've read that some people can grow theirs fairly quickly and others stay around 2inches not including the tail for months. Is there a special brand of food that people give their goldfish for better health and growth? Or does the number of times you change the water affect the growth spurt?

I appreciate any info.
Thanks.

OK, When you feed goldfish pellets you should soak them in water for 5-10min allowing them to sink to the bottom right?
Yep. Very good practice.

Now the substrate that I currently use is around an inch in length so they're like little pebbles. As juvenile goldfish mouth's aren't that big will this impair their bottom feeding since they normally sift through the substrate for food?

Naw, not really. They's still sorta snub in it, and thier mouths suck like a vacuum when they open, so they can draw the food out. It's actually good to have a large substrate, in most people's opinion, because goldfish can get gravel stuck in thier throats. I have small gravel, tho, and i havent had any such problems.

Also, what is the best way to grow out a juvenile Oranda? I've read that some people can grow theirs fairly quickly and others stay around 2inches not including the tail for months. Is there a special brand of food that people give their goldfish for better health and growth? Or does the number of times you change the water affect the growth spurt?

lessee... lots of food helps, but be careful with it, cuz orandas are prone to constipation. Lots of space helps, clean water, (no ammonia or nitrite, very low nitrate) high protien diet (some goldfish pellets specifically for fancies, lots of live or frozen foods, the special growth-foods claim to work work but i can't tell you anything about thier effectiveness) low stress, somewhat high temperature, (74 degrees farenheit) and TLC.

y are you racing to grow them out, if you dont mind my askng?

Thanks for the info Schtinkypuppy!
Well I'm trying to grow out my soon to be goldfish because my girlfriend and I move alot and I think the next time we move will be to someplace where we'd have to fly to...
So I want to enjoy a large goldfish while I still have the chance to have an aquarium.

I know I could buy a large goldfish but aren't they expensive?
Also for some strange reason, out of the 4 LFS in my area no one carries any other species of fancy goldfish but juvenile Ryunkin and Black Moors.

So there you go. :fun:

My 2 lfs' have HUGE orandas for 29.99 (US dollars) But they have a lot of weird specialty stuff. It's odd that none of your local stores have many fancies, we have quite a few. If you're in a very warm climate, they may not be popular cuz they're coldwater.

A rule of thumb is 10 gallons for each goldfish. An average goldfish can easily reach a size of 6 to 8 inches in a very short time.

I have a 29 gallon with 2 fantails in it and I don't plan on adding any more fish to that tank. They are about 3 1/2 inches now and still growing.

Remember, the more space you give them the bigger they are likely to get.

Some good advice their comet 65 welcome to the forum :) :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back