Could I Put A Turtle In The Same Tank As Piranhas?

You can keep other fish with oscars.. Most places will tell you it's possible with the right fish (as with most fish)

I would up the filtration. Preferably to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10x turnover per hour. A canister will likely be the way you will want to go.

People have also told you that you can't keep 8 red bellys in an 80g. You haven't said anything about this which leads people to assume you are ignoring them.

Read my other reply for my reply to the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.

not to jump in and add my two cents that will raise all sorts of hairs. i know nothing of your current set up or filtration but...
turltes need a TON of filtration. serously. they are filthy pets. awesome, but dirty. so crazy filtration is a must.
i know that piranhas are messy fish too that need ridiculous filtration. the larger they get, the more waste they produce, even just in their feeding scraps.
res turtles can grow upwards of a FOOT carapice length. that's a LOT of swimming room (and not just horizontal room....VERTICAL room! they also live for upwards of 35 years. that is a lotttt of commitment and tank maintainence (with loads of BIG waterchanges), coupled with the size of the tank. they also need a HEATER and HEATLIGHT in the basking area and UV.
piranhas also grow LARGE and need loads of room to swim. and very high protein diet. and are dirty. and live a long time.
now, mix the two. BAD IDEA! too much tank and too much work!
it would be possible with a hundrEDS of gallon tank. i wouldnt worry about an adult RES to bother the fish. they eat mostly veggies at that point. the fish may take a bite at the turtle, but i woudnt suspect it to last long. turtles are pretty agile in the water and would teach the fish a thing or two, but it wouldt outrightly eat the fish.
so if you have, say. a 300+ gallon tank, basically a POOL FILTER, appropriate clean up crew, lots of money for food and a load of free time on your hands for the concieveably ten years, then go for it.
otherwise, id say no.
haha yea i thought that a turtle was my best bet on anything living with my reds, but then i found out about how much filtration was really needed and it is WWAAYYY too much, thats a no......do the turtles REALLY need as much filtration as websites say they do, like is it really tha bad?

You can keep other fish with oscars.. Most places will tell you it's possible with the right fish (as with most fish)

I would up the filtration. Preferably to somewhere in the neighborhood of 10x turnover per hour. A canister will likely be the way you will want to go.

People have also told you that you can't keep 8 red bellys in an 80g. You haven't said anything about this which leads people to assume you are ignoring them.

Read my other reply for my reply to the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.
ya but when i asked about how many reds i could put in my 80gal. i already had the 8....the people at my pet store said that i could prolly go with ten, so they clearly didnt know what they were talking about, and back then i didnt know about this or even think to research how manywould fit.....and what other reply???

do the turtles REALLY need as much filtration as websites say they do, like is it really tha bad?

No of course not, they don't need any filtration at all and can live quite happily in a small tank filled with umpteen different species of fish, where they can swim around in their own excrement. :rolleyes:

i have a 3.5 ince slider in a 30 gal with about 150gal worth of filtration and the nitrates are at 80 within 48 hours of a 50% waterchange. so yeah, loads of waterchanges and maintenance. in in that tank no less than 2X a week, they poop a ton, grow really fast, and are big timesinks. but i love her and for the next 40 years or so, will take care of her.
its a huge commitment to own a turtle or tortoise.

do the turtles REALLY need as much filtration as websites say they do, like is it really tha bad?

No of course not, they don't need any filtration at all and can live quite happily in a small tank filled with umpteen different species of fish, where they can swim around in their own excrement. :rolleyes:

o hey thanks for the GREAT advice man, im glad that there was absolutely no sarcasm in your last post...........

that was uncalled for...........

Please watch the name calling

i have a 3.5 ince slider in a 30 gal with about 150gal worth of filtration and the nitrates are at 80 within 48 hours of a 50% waterchange. so yeah, loads of waterchanges and maintenance. in in that tank no less than 2X a week, they poop a ton, grow really fast, and are big timesinks. but i love her and for the next 40 years or so, will take care of her.

wow thats amazing! well enjoy your slider, if that doesnt teach you hardwork then i dont know what will!

I took my boys to the sea life centre in Birmingham this year, I was shocked to find a tank with about 8 rbp and two large common plecs in. OK so the sea life centre must have top filtration, but it would not be something I would risk.

As for turtles and fish I have a mississippi map and a kissing gourami together, the gourami is nasty and will not tolerate any other fish and the turtle is fine with the gourami, however keeping the tank in top condition is really hard work to keep both species happy.

I took my boys to the sea life centre in Birmingham this year, I was shocked to find a tank with about 8 rbp and two large common plecs in. OK so the sea life centre must have top filtration, but it would not be something I would risk.

As for turtles and fish I have a mississippi map and a kissing gourami together, the gourami is nasty and will not tolerate any other fish and the turtle is fine with the gourami, however keeping the tank in top condition is really hard work to keep both species happy.

yea getting a turtle would be another big investment

I know a few people that have RBP's and exodons together in the same tank, but it is 120 gallons in one case and a 70 in another.

I agree with this as i own 14 turtles in total with about 5 different speceis and we change them 3 sometimes 4 times a week they have sumps and externals on every tank for them ,we mix rome of them with fish with no problems

I agree with this as i own 14 turtles in total with about 5 different speceis and we change them 3 sometimes 4 times a week they have sumps and externals on every tank for them ,we mix rome of them with fish with no problems

#93### #33###!!!! THATS INSANE!!

Most reactions

Back