Corydoras for Hard Water List

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
In general, it's easy to say that most bottom dwellers are from softwater habitats, but there are a few exceptions if one does enough digging around.

This is a list of corydoras suitable for ranges 200ppm and up, but be aware it may vary availability for your particular water as some are low-end. For the sake of ease, I use ppm, but to convert to DGH, I use:

I've compiled a list of cories with their size of tank and GH ranges to simplify things for those wondering what they can keep in harder water.

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Corydoras:

Corydoras Hastatus 36-215ppm

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Corydoras:

Corydoras Aeneus (bronze) 36-268ppm

Corydoras Ambiacus 30-215ppm

Corydoras Bondi 36-215ppm

Corydoras Brevirostris 36-215ppm

Corydoras Metae 90-215ppm

Corydoras Melanotaenia 36-268ppm

Corydoras Melanistius 36-268ppm

Corydoras Julii **the REAL julii** 36-215ppm

Corydoras Elegans 18-268ppm

Corydoras Agassizii 36-215ppm

Corydoras Axelrodi 18-215ppm

Corydoras Arcuatus 36-215ppm

Corydoras Napoensis 18-215ppm

Corydoras Paleatus up to 215ppm

Corydoras Sterbai 18-268ppm

Corydoras Rabauti 18-215ppm

Minimum Tank Size: 40 gallons
Corydoras:

Corydoras Fowleri 36-215ppm
**due to larger size and potential aggression between males

Last edited:
Oh wow, thank you for doing this! This will be so helpful when people want cories, but have harder water. At least hopefully they will choose a species that can tolerate their water conditions better than many others would. This is very kind of you, thank you :D :fish:

The "Water Hardness Converter" in post #1 that deals with dH to ppm and reverse is easy, but if you want to avoid having to go to that site, and you have a calculator on the PC, use the number 17.9 either way. To convert dH to ppm multiply the degrees by 17.9, and to convert in reverse divide ppm by 17.9 and you will have the corresponding dH.

This works with dH (dGH) and ppm only, not Clark or other "degrees."

The calculator on here also includes deg Clarke.

GH and dH are the same thing
mg/l CaCO3 = ppm
US hardness = grains per gallon

TFF calculator.jpg

I have hard water and I keep c.rabauti corys in it. Maybe add those to the list? I might have to try out some of those species!

I guess it depends on where they were bred. As far as I know, everywhere around me has hard water so I’m guessing they were bred around here. Since I got them locally.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was saying that they would be a good choice to add to the list, because 215ppm is pretty hard water, and SF agrees that they can handle that range.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was saying that they would be a good choice to add to the list, because 215ppm is pretty hard water, and SF agrees that they can handle that range.
Ah, makes more sense. I was a bit confused about the post. Thanks for clearing that up :)

EDIT: The reason I was confused was because I thought that in the original post it said 300ppm instead of 200 so now that I reread it that explains a lot.

Ah, makes more sense. I was a bit confused about the post. Thanks for clearing that up :)

EDIT: The reason I was confused was because I thought that in the original post it said 300ppm instead of 200 so now that I reread it that explains a lot.
Sorry man, didn't mean to confuse you! I was saying it was nice, I was glad there was another cory species to add to the list, and gave the hardness range and tank size to try to save @NCaquatics some work so she could add them to the list :) This list started because I was complaining to NC about how all the fish I like are soft water fish, but I live in a hard water area. She's our cory expert, and she found a whole bunch of cories that can tolerate harder water, yay! Yours are a nice addition :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back