Corydoras aeneus (bronze Corys) in the wild

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oliver's (Oliver Lucanus) videos are all well worth watching. This is factual, as you've noted.

I hope I can post this video from a friend's channel - there is a huge amount to be learned in 5 minutes.
oh shoot i need to add more light colored sand to my tank, because mine all turned deep brown in the black sand.
very interesting video! cute fish!!!

A couple of takeaways for Corydoras from that region would be the light sand, which I've noticed fishkeepers who spend time sloshing around streams in South America often use. They develop a tendency to want to replicate natural habitats, and they learn the geology of the different regions they visit. What's natural to one species may not be to another.
I expect the camouflage is the scattered rocks on the sand. A dark aeneus that freezes will look like a pebble from above, where the feared birds are. The question of leaf litter on the margins of the stream is also interesting. We can do that with late autumn dried oak leaves, in a lot of the northern hemisphere.
But above it, water flow. It's hard to work with in a glass box, as the walls cause strange (to fish) turbulence. It's something we really overlook.

In the issue of water flow, we must keep in mind the observation Oliver makes in this video. There is a current in the channel (current, not whirlpool) such that it will carry a leaf downstream. But along the margins the dried leaves remain stationary. This means that the fish can actively swim against the current, but they have the ability to get out of the current. The main issue with an aquarium is finding this balance of both features. In a large tank, meaning a 4-foot or larger, this is easier to do, I;ve done it. But in a tank that is less in length, it is not easy. I did it in my 40g cory tank. At 3 feet in length, the internal filter in the upper right rear corner was directed down the length of the back wall, hit the far end wall and headed back, but the return journey down the front of the tank was very minimal; plant leaves did not move in this soft current. My pandas liked the stronger current, but many of the other species primarily avoided it. Fish fighting a current cannot rest as well, and this wears them out because the water movement is 24/7.

Another observation on the light sand...this is normal, buff or tan colour sand, Many species of cories--C. panda, adolfoi and related species, axelrodi, etc.--have the identical body colour so they blend in, as Gary noted above. But most of these habitats do not have direct sunlight, but rather overhanging forest canopy. The sand does not therefore reflect bright light. In many of our aquaria, we have overhead light, and this without question is very stressful on forest fish. This is why white sand is verboten, it is far too reflective. Black sand goes the opposite direction, and these same cories have stress from this too.

Life in an aquarium has to be as reasonably close to life in the habitat with respect to the physical environment. This is programmed into the species, and it is what they "expect."

Corys definitely like (and maybe I'd say need) flowing water. Let's put it differently : A lot.of.issues with Corys occure in stagnant water.

In most of my tanks I use a wavemaker / pump for that reason.

Thanks for posting this...nothing compares to seeing tropical fish in their natural environment

Funny thing was the same day Gary posted it it just appeared in my list on Youtube, watched it and saved it.

I make a point of searching for video of fish in their habitats on a regular basis. I've learned a lot from doing that, and it does make me question some of my aquarium practices.

I make a point of searching for video of fish in their habitats on a regular basis. I've learned a lot from doing that, and it does make me question some of my aquarium practices.
Agree. The white sand thinf for.instance hahaha and some other "aquariumfacts"

The big thing I take from it is the need to increase oxygen levels through water movement. I would love to create more current and flow, but it bangs up against the aquarium walls and doesn't act as I'd like it to. That's a technical question worth playing with. Laminar flow pumps are expensive...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back