Cory Near Death Experience

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Don Trinko

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a lepard cory that is over 6 years old. I wanted to put him in a different tank. I made sure the temperature was equalized and gradualy added water from the new tank. ( abought 15 minutes) After I released him he looked fine and was swimming with another cori. Abought an hour later he looked near death so I put him back to the original tank. That was 3 hours ago, So far he looks fine.
I tested both waters and found that amonia,nitrite, and nitrateas were fine. I found 2 main differences: old tank ph was 7.4, new tank ph 7.8 and old tank GH wat 7, new tank was GH of 3.
Any ideas what went wrong? maybee because of the hardness difference I need to aclimate longer? Don T.

it was the nitrate level. it needed to be set at 33.9 in case you were wondering nitrate is a chemical found on the periodic table which helps fish breathe better

This is totally untrue, this person has been banned.

The ph was different, could of been ph shock.
Any symtoms to go on.

I put him in again today. I took an hour to gradualy add water from the new tank. So far he looks OK. It's hard to tell because he always sat in the corner in the old tank. that's what he is doing in the new tank. ( over 6 years old)
I'm not sure why my ph varies so much from tank to tank. Tap water is typicaly 7.6. My tanks ussualy are from 7.4 to 7.8. Sometimes I'll have salt in the water for various reasons. That makes it 8.0 occasionaly Thanks; Don T.

What substrate and ornaments do you have in the tank?

No ornaments in any tank. (driftwood in 2) All have fake plants and sand from Wallmart. This is newly setup with new sand. perhaps after a water change or 2 it will lower the ph. I am goint do do one tomorrow. Don T.

Sorry I was not clear ,driftwood is not in either tank. bopth tanks have fake plants and Wallmart sand, same color. ( natural) I may have some stress coat in tank with higher ph. Don T.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back