Cory Just Sitting On Tank Floor

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
about 2 weeks ago i added 4 corys to my tank and they settled in excellently. i have 2 orange lasers, 1 sterbai and 1 bandit. they all get on but the 2 lasers usually spend more time with each other as a pair, eating playing etc together. the last 2/3 days the smaller of the 2 has just been sat at the bottom of the tank only moving every now and then the other even gives him a nudge almost to say "come and play". my water tests are good - nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrates 10.
the last 2 days i have noticed that a few other fish in the tank have been rubbing on decor/ rocks etc so have possibly got ich or flukes but not sure which one as no other symptoms yet, although the corys have not been scratching. i added some treatment for ich today hoping its that before it gets too bad.....

is my cory ill or is it to do with the other disease (ich or flukes) i possibly have? it doesnt normally keep still for longer than a second but now only moves for about a second.....

From what I understand, the corys are all shoaling fish so they need to be in groups... and I am not sure if they will all shoal together! From the recommendations I've seen it's usually to get at least 5 or 6 of the same species because they feel happy in their group.

I just got 6 sterbai corys a few days ago and I can tell you they really enjoy each others' company... I can imagine they wouldn't be very happy alone. They play together a lot.

for the first week or 2 the corys all got on and played together but they do seem to have split into 3 now (2 lasers play together, and the other 2 just play together or on their own) all 4 seemed very active but 1 laser spends alot of time alone now on the floor motionless (still alive and eats well) i am thinking of getting a few more as i have upgraded my tank and once cycled will have a larger stock number to go at....

hi iwould have to say that it sounds like white spot to me have you cheked the fish for tiny small white dots hopley u may have caught it earliy
regards tom105 :)

just finished a whitespot/ich treatment, no white spots present but fish were flicking. couldnt decide if it was ich or flukes so gambled on ich..... fish no longer flicking but still dont seem right!!! i have bought some kusuri wormer plus so will treat them in a couple of days and see how it goes. fingers crossed.

just crank up the heat to 30C and do a gravel vac to get any spores out imho

maybe they're just adjusting to the daytime night-time thing, my cories are pretty quiet when the lights are on apart from one or two, i have six altogether. For the flicking maybe it could be velvet?

Goodluck

My only comment would be that as you have a 40L tank in your signature with ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?, perhaps you should start using that as a quarantine tank? Then at least when you get new fish if they bring anything in with them you won't be risking the rest of your existing stock. :)

Good luck with solving whatever is up with your fish.

My only comment would be that as you have a 40L tank in your signature with ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?, perhaps you should start using that as a quarantine tank? Then at least when you get new fish if they bring anything in with them you won't be risking the rest of your existing stock. :)

Good luck with solving whatever is up with your fish.
this is an old topic now! but these fish were quarentined before adding to my main tank and still are flicking............... now and then, if i get to see them! no other fish is bothered by whatever it is so its a mystery. no losses and still no other symptoms so ive just decided to let them get on with it now theres nothing else i can do, ive tried everything else!

how do you mean flicking because my swordtails keep doing this wierd thing where either one of them swims to the floor of the tank then like jumps (well i guess swims quickly) to about half way up the tank and goes back down to repeate? is this the same as your flicking?

how do you mean flicking because my swordtails keep doing this wierd thing where either one of them swims to the floor of the tank then like jumps (well i guess swims quickly) to about half way up the tank and goes back down to repeate? is this the same as your flicking?
my corys just go about doing their thing then just flick sideways in the substrate, its also refered to as flashing, rubbing, scratching, flicking etc

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back