Cory Julii Death

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Whitey_144

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought 8 cories 3 weeks ago, they're now in a 3 ft tank with 2 angelfish and couple of littleuns, they are all fine, except one has a bit of a smaller tail.

I then bought another 10, 10 days ago, which are in a 2 foot quarantine tank with 1 apisto. However, today 1 one was dead, I tested the water and all seems fine, 0 ammonia, nitrite and average nitrate. TDS 125. I did a 25% water change and removed the fish anyway.

I checked out the others and they all looked fine, except one that has a smaller tail and looks to be struggling with bouyancy, contstantly swimming downwards. Is this common in Julii? could it be contagious and what killed the first? I assume maybe its the swim bladder?

no others have died since I got them, I did notice sometimes, very randomly and rarely one might dart for the surface and back down, is this a common trait? if not, perhaps its always been the one/s with bouyancy problems.

any advise would be great, especailly if it can be fixed for the one floating.

thanks!
Adam

That cory was most likey born with a defeat which is pretty normal.

As for the death, It happens. I've seen one of my corys die for no reason whatsoever. Part of fish keeping to get unexpected deaths.

The darting up to the surface for corys is natural, they grab a gulp of air and dart back down. When they hover around the surface contantly gulping air then you worrry.

The deformed tail could be genteic, but boyancy problems could be another issue all together. It may have a swim bladder infection or may have been handled too roughly when getting caught, if so hopefully any damage done due to catching will right itself.

thanks, so the swim bladder can fix itself? I'll keep a close eye on him/her!

Depending on what has cuased the problem with the swim bladder, it may need some antiboiatics if it is an infection.

+1 that darting up to the surface for a gulp of air is normal, mine do it often. In fact when the flake food goes in for everything else in my tank, before the sinking pellets for the corys, a couple of them will usually swim upside down at the surface taking the flake! I expected corys, after doing my research, to spend most of the time hovering around the bottom, but they really occupy all levels of my community tank, definitely my favourites!

Most reactions

Back