Coral Health, Pics

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all, had the tank set up for over 10 weeks now, the leather has been in for over 2 weeks, the polyps have never come out, can someone advise what might be wrong with it

efi90z.jpg

Also one of the zoa heads has retracted on itself - what does this mean?

o5dcev.jpg

lethers can be very sulky have you tryed moving him as he may need more or less flow or more or less light

also the second pics i believe are button polyps and im unsure unless they do the same as anemones and turn inside out to excrete

lethers can be very sulky have you tryed moving him as he may need more or less flow or more or less light

also the second pics i believe are button polyps and im unsure unless they do the same as anemones and turn inside out to excrete

Yeh i've moved it a few times with no success. It taking a long one then because its been like that for a week.

is there anything like a worm or crab at the base of the stalk in the rock that could be bothering it (best way to tell is with a red torch)

is there anything like a worm or crab at the base of the stalk in the rock that could be bothering it (best way to tell is with a red torch)

no, theres a couple of bristleworms in the tank but i've never seen them bother any of the corals and i i'm pretty sure its a crab free tank.

I would suggest moving the leather (if it isn't already) to a good light, moderate flow spot and just leave him there for a while. These things are so dramatic. Leathers have the tendency to shed their "skin" when stressed (like being added to a new tank) and also moving them around can cause them to do it as well. Sometimes they will stay closed for nearly a week while they shed. You'll be able to see a thin mucus-like material coming off of the coral when it finally does completely shed.

They can bounce back from almost anything, so I wouldn't worry about him for now, give him some more time to adjust.

EDIT: Oh, and check your stats (and post) just to be safe.

:hi: Jonny

As Nemo said, can we see your stats please?

I always compare Leathers to sulky teenage boys who sulk in their rooms for a week at a time if something upsets them :lol:

Leathers need:

Adequate light, but not a massive amount
brisk flow, so aim powerhead about six inches above their heads
and to be left alone, they hate being moved and handled

Seffie x

55pjsg.jpg

Just a quick update, its doing just fine :good: I've had to move it down since this picture was taken as the polyps extended all the way to the surface, all good :) , thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Back