Community Tank Thoughts

bturnnidge

New Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi Guys,

I have a community tank, however I do not have many fish:

2x Sailfin Mollies - F
1x Clown Loach - ?
1x Convict Cichlid - M
1x Red Platty - ?
2 x Peppered Cories - ?
1x Red Jewel Cichlid - ?

I am looking at having 2 more red jewels and 3 more cories

If anyone could give any extra thoughts on what I can add would be great.

Thanks
 
I would do some reading on the jewel cichlids.......As they mature they get really nasty and aggressive.......Adding more cories is a good idea depending on your tank size.........IMO, you cant go wrong with some type of rainbowfish or maybe a male gourami of your favorite species, but there again it will all hinge on your tank size
 
I have had 4 Jewel Cichlids previously, and I was lucky enough that they all got on OK even with my two convicts. I suppose it all depends on the individual fish lol
 
I wouldnt be worried about your jewels (That just sound funny) or the convict, they will hold there own against each other, its your mollies and cories i would be worried about with the jewel's aggression...........It could work if your tank is of decent size
 
I wouldnt be worried about your jewels (That just sound funny) or the convict, they will hold there own against each other, its your mollies and cories i would be worried about with the jewel's aggression...........It could work if your tank is of decent size

lol :lol:

I have to agree with the Cichlid part though.

They will get pretty aggressive and territorial when the grow up, if they are not all ready, and chasing your other fish around? And red jewel Cichlids should not be kept with community fish.

Depending on the size tank you have, if you wanted to keep the Cichlids I would say no more other kinds of fish besides catfish maybe. I dont know how well Cichlids and cories get along? I would not recommend it, just because I know Cichlids and cories would not fair too well together, at least with African Cichlids they dont.

Let us know how big of a tank you have, and then we can give you more info based on that. :good:

-FHM
 
I have 3 panda corys 3 x peppered corys 2 x German blue rams and 4 x cockatoo cichlids in a community tank and they all get along fine. I guess its just luck if your fish get on because even fish that are supposed to get along sometimes just dont!

Your Platty shouldnt be kept alone so a few more would be good - ratio one male to 3 females.
 
the rams and cockatoos are pussycats compared to a jewel cichlid when its mature..........IMO jewels should not be housed with other fish except other cichlids.........Some wont bother anyone in the tank, but as a whole the species is just a nasty, beautiful fish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top