Cold Water :o But My Fish R Fine :s

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

matchstickman47

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i put my hand in the water today and it was realy cold... checked the temperature... it was like 19 celcius ... i looked at the heat.... it wasnt on... i played around with the thermostat and it turned on.. what the hell is going on ?? im going to the shop on the weekend to get a new one but ther is no way i can get there during the week ...

another thing... the fish were all fine... i have a honey gourami, khulis, bns, the mollies were a bit figety ill admit but still fine...???

er wat wrong with my heater! it was temporarily broken... i dont trust that one bit... im scared :0 heeeeelp

Always a good idea to have a spare heater for emergencies. If it's come back on now all you can do is keep an eye when you're there. I doubt the fish will die at this time of year without heat but it might stress them out a bit. Have you got a portable heater you could stand near the tank?
Oh and you could leave the lights on 24/7 until you get a new heater.

probably the wireing in the thermostat went out of place. i think my brother had a similar problem with his old tank and this occured when the thermostat was moved around.

i put my hand in the water today and it was realy cold... checked the temperature... it was like 19 celcius ... i looked at the heat.... it wasnt on... i played around with the thermostat and it turned on.. what the hell is going on ?? im going to the shop on the weekend to get a new one but ther is no way i can get there during the week ...

You could also just set the room temperature to 21-24c.

If you can't get to the lfs before the weekend you could order one off the net. Should arrive before then.

another thing... the fish were all fine... i have a honey gourami, khulis, bns, the mollies were a bit figety ill admit but still fine...???

er wat wrong with my heater! it was temporarily broken... i dont trust that one bit... im scared :0 heeeeelp

Good thing you have these fish, as they can survive in quite low temps

Khulis aren't from Canada they come from south east Asia and quite often wild caught. Therefore equator air temps of 30C year round and a water temp of 24+

Most fish can handle cold temperatures for a while, it can represent the wet season in some cases.

fair enough, just never seen any of the other fish in cold water, whereas i have seen mollies actually living healthily in permanently cold water.

Dave

ye, the fish you have should be able to live for 2 or 3 day with out a heater.

Hi matchstickman47 :)

When you do replace your heater, be sure to warm them up slowly. A rapid increase in temperature can stress them and possibly be more dangerous than their being too cool. Just increase the temperature in easy stages.

Most reactions

Back