Co2 Diffuser With Diy?

ebrcknrdg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Would a co2 diffuser be more efficient than the nutrafin ladder using a DIY mix?

No matter how hard ive tried some of the bubbles are missing the ladder and its driving me mad! Also the bubbles dont distribute around the tank very well, they float to the top then get sucked into the filter. I have a Juwel Rio 125L and cant place the ladder on the back wall in the flow of the pump water as i stupidly bought the rock background.

Jeez that thing looks pretty big.. and pretty ugly. :lol:

I could be wrong here but isn't it the amount of time the CO2 is in contact with the water not how small the bubbles are? -_- If you watch the bubbles on your ladder they get smaller as they get to the top.

I have the nutrafin kit and run it from a 2l bottle. I did have a few problems with rouge bubbles to start with but solved it by cutting the air pipe at about 30 degrees where the bubble exits. This makes it pop up in the right place.

How long have you been running your CO2? My ladder is on the side of the tank near the filter and even though a few buubles pop on the top CO2 is still getting into the water and pumped around.

Scrof

Jeez that thing looks pretty big.. and pretty ugly. :lol:

I could be wrong here but isn't it the amount of time the CO2 is in contact with the water not how small the bubbles are? -_- If you watch the bubbles on your ladder they get smaller as they get to the top.

I have the nutrafin kit and run it from a 2l bottle. I did have a few problems with rouge bubbles to start with but solved it by cutting the air pipe at about 30 degrees where the bubble exits. This makes it pop up in the right place.

How long have you been running your CO2? My ladder is on the side of the tank near the filter and even though a few buubles pop on the top CO2 is still getting into the water and pumped around.

Scrof

lol yeh it does look pretty gruesome! The bubbles do get smaller but i still dont feel its working properly. Ill have to try and cut the pipe a little, didnt think of that! :blush: Ive been running it for a week and a bit now (have changed the mix once in this time) Its on the side of the tank next to the filter.

I think the glass diffusers look nicer but do they improve the amount of co2 being dissolved? This is the one i have my eye on, on ebay.........Glass diffuser

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ok so ive read that glass diffusers dont work on a DIY set up as the pressure wont be high enough. So now im thinking how about getting two of the nutrafin canisters and hook them up to the one diffuser, will this increase the pressure?

ok so ive read that glass diffusers dont work on a DIY set up as the pressure wont be high enough. So now im thinking how about getting two of the nutrafin canisters and hook them up to the one diffuser, will this increase the pressure?

Yup it sure will. I'm running the same set up right now on my 30 gal with a 1/2 inch diffuser from ebay. The one i use is said to be a nano diffuser but it really pumps out the bubbles :good:
The small 1/2 inch diffusers will work with one bottle as i am also using one of those on my 10 gallon.

Yup it sure will. I'm running the same set up right now on my 30 gal with a 1/2 inch diffuser from ebay. The one i use is said to be a nano diffuser but it really pumps out the bubbles :good:
The small 1/2 inch diffusers will work with one bottle as i am also using one of those on my 10 gallon.

oh right, the one ive got my eye on is 1inch and is meant for tanks over 20g (which mine is) so i dont know whether to risk that and see if it works, if not get another canister?

The next question would be can you just buy a canister on its own as i dont fancy paying another £18 for the whole kit!

you could just make your self a new canister by using 2L coke bottle. It works and does the same thing! that is if you don't want to fork out any more money. All you do is simply drill a hole on bottle lid (the drill diamater should be smaller than the tube, (a good way to test the size of the drill is to fit the drill piece inside the tube, if it is snug fit, then it the perfect size. Then all you do is with tweezers pull the tube end through the lid the tube should be snug fit tight. !

you could just make your self a new canister by using 2L coke bottle. It works and does the same thing! that is if you don't want to fork out any more money. All you do is simply drill a hole on bottle lid (the drill diamater should be smaller than the tube, (a good way to test the size of the drill is to fit the drill piece inside the tube, if it is snug fit, then it the perfect size. Then all you do is with tweezers pull the tube end through the lid the tube should be snug fit tight. !

oh duh thats so easy and so much cheaper than buying another nutrafin kit! doesnt there need to be any sealant around the tube to stop the co2 escaping?

oh duh thats so easy and so much cheaper than buying another nutrafin kit! doesnt there need to be any sealant around the tube to stop the co2 escaping?

yea you would but i didn't i just kept it snug fit works fine no gas escaping, :shifty: i followed thishttp://diyyeastco2.blogspot.com/ , its atually saves you from getting silicon and less messy ...

I use a 2L glass (vodka) bottle and a cork with a hole drilled through it. Works a treat. :)

Is glass more efficient than plastic then? Just so happens we have a bottle of vodka in and i might have to polish it off....all for a good cause though ;)

I can state that Aquatic Magic used to say in their advert that the Rhinox 2000 was OK for yeast and pressurised. They do state now only for pressurised with this model but I can vouch for it being awesome on 2 Nutrafin kits.

I used it before I went pressurised on 2 Nutrafins and it was brilliant

God knows why they changed the advert but it works better on pressurised for obvious reasons, but was definately better than the majority of limp attempts I made on the yeast set up

andy

I can state that Aquatic Magic used to say in their advert that the Rhinox 2000 was OK for yeast and pressurised. They do state now only for pressurised with this model but I can vouch for it being awesome on 2 Nutrafin kits.

I used it before I went pressurised on 2 Nutrafins and it was brilliant

God knows why they changed the advert but it works better on pressurised for obvious reasons, but was definately better than the majority of limp attempts I made on the yeast set up

andy

ive bought the nano diffuser now. have heard it works on diy so will have to wait and see

Most reactions

Back