Co2 Delivery Systems

I'm sure it's absolutely fine. D&D is a good recognised brand. But as to the functionality of that specific set I'm not sure. I use the JBL Profi 2 and can certainly recommend that (but that's £159 at cheapest).
Do keep in mind that you will have to buy a new bottle every couple of months or so depending on the size of your tank etc. Whereas other systems with refillable bottles will work out cheaper in the longer run.

There are cheaper options out there if you shop around a bit - but just a quick squizz tells me that Aquatics Online has some good deals :nod:

I had the energy clasic. the biggest prob i found was the small power head on the diffuser gets clogged up real easy and is a pain to keep cleaning. For the money the nutrafin system is better.

I have the deltec system although it was used to power a calcium reactor on a reef tank. I am now going to use this on my freshwater tank. It uses throwaway cylinders. Some people convert to the JBL or similar cylinders but these in standard form are only 500g too & unless you have a local agent a pain in the butt to get refilled. (extra price when sending it)

If you shop around (at a welding supply online shop) you can get these cylinders for around £7-£7.50 so the price matches a refill anyways.

I think the D&D system is just part of the linked page, Andy is talking about the ferplast system in particular I think.

I would say as far as budget systems go its pretty good, the diffuser is better than most because with it using a powerhead its going to dissipate CO2 into your water column, better than a standard spiral or ladder diffuser but the drawbacks are of course the appearance and size of it. You could put it on a timer so it is only really effectively putting CO2 into the water column when the lights are on, when the power is off the CO2 bubbles are simply released straight to the surface, giving you a kind of pressurised solenoid principle but not as good.

I have never used one myself but I've read and researched quite a lot about it, if I were using DIY CO2 I would probably get one as the Ferplast stuff is really good anyway. Go for it is my advice, but I would really consider getting a pressurised CO2 system such as the D&D one on that page, I use this myself and have found it to be excellent for the price, especially as it already includes a solenoid.

Thanks all,

it was the ferplast one I was referring to, sorry about that, i could have been more specific!
I have 2 Nutrafin units and ideally would go for pressurised CO2 it's quite difficult to get refills here in Ireland.
We're working on a solution to that one but in the meantime I thought that the Ferplast might be as good as I can get at the moment.

Andy

Thanks, oldwhitewood,I was thinking of that system as an alternative.They deliver to Ireland in 4 days, I just received a box from them today, so thats not a problem. How long do you get before a refill? (It'll be for a 170L tank) 12.99 a tank makes it about 20 euros before postage....could get pricey!

Well with the solenoid giving you an accurate degree of control otherwise lacking and also I use CO2 proof tubing which does help. It lasts me ages mate, months! my tank is 125 litre.

The only thing I would say is that you have to be very careful with the joints, they give you some tape used by plummers to make them tight enough, when I first got the unit I didn't do this properly and it drained my cannister overnight. When I emailled D&D about it the guy there said "yeah mine did that when I first tried it" :D You have to check the joints using soapy water to check for gas coming out. This is something they have done to keep the price down, but I wanted to warn you about that incase you did end up getting one and didn't realise you had to do that.

I still think for the price its a good unit if you are carefull with each cylinder, I only check the joints when I replace each cylinder and haven't had a problem so far, I've been using mine for about 2 years.

Perhaps you could get some gauges or something and find a local supplier of CO2 near you, pubs use bottled CO2 as do weilders. There must be something you can make up?

Sounds good, oldwhitewood...

Making up a system wouldn't be a problem if we could find cylinders at resonable prices. The rental on the cylinders is the killer really. It would be cheaper to buy the D&D and order refills from what i've found so far.
The quest continues though!

I have a similar problem to you in that I have used different CO2 systems in the past but its always been a problem trying to refill the cannisters, my LFS instead preffering to sell me a fresh cannister, this was one particular shop I must admit I haven't tried it at any other shops, but I find its pretty hard to find any LFS that sells pressurised CO2, although this has changed a bit recently. I have been using the D&D system and it works and I have a good supply of gas there I can get hold of so I'm quite happy with that, even though it might be more expensive getting refills has always proved difficult for me.

Most reactions

Back