Clown loach with white spot

Ferris

Do ya feel lucky punk?
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I am having a problem with White spot.

I have a community tank which includes 3 clown loach, they have had white spot for nearly 3 weeks now. I have treated the tank with Interpets Anti White spot plus following the instructions carefully, I treated the tank with the appropriate amount and then repeated the process 4 days later. The number of spots decreased but never actually went away completely. I have subsequently repeated this process and the same thing happened, a reduction but not a complete cure. I have also raised the tank temp to 82F and regularly cleaned the gravel.

The loach have never at any stage been seriously covered in white spot and do not seem at all bothered and their behaviour is normal. None of the other fish have been affected at all. I have treated white spot succesfully in the past when my tank was at the end of its cycle process but i did not have the CL's at that time.

Cam anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance

how long have the clowns been in the tank? how long has this tank been set up?

and lastly (sorry i know it looks like i pick faults with everyones tanks :( ) your tank is far too small for clown loaches anyway. :(

Hi,

Clowns have been in the tank approx 2 months, tank has been established for approx 4 months.

I know exactly what you mean about the tank size, the frustrating thing is that i am waiting to move them to a 55g tank but cannot do this until I cure the white spot.

If it helps the CL's are still juveniles at about 1 1/2 inches long.

Thanks again

clowns are very easily infected with white spot and very delicate and dont do too well with meds either :(

have you got anyway of seperating them from the main tank? it would help

The only option I would have is to put them in my Cichlid Mbuna tank, which would risk infecting them. The clowns would be O.k in there as the Cichlids are also juveniles.

What do you think?

I have never found treating white spot to be a problem and have always cured it within a few days although I am aware that CL's are prone to WS. As i say though, they seem perfectly happy and only have a few spots on them, I just can't seem to eradicate it completely.

no certainly dont fo infecting your other tanks.

you will need to treat the whole tank anyway as this is where the parasite will be. just make sure that you use a med that is perfectly safe for the clowns. if nothing has been added to the tank for a long time its probarbly down to poor water conditions they are very sensetive fish. Also be careful after using the med and watch for ammonia and nitrite as most meds will kill you filter (even though most claim they dont)

when you say they are going in the 55 do you mean with the fish that are already in there at the moment? clowns prefer fairly soft slightly acidic (pH 6-7) water as opposed to your cichlids that prefer much much harder

are they big white spots like there 4 or 5 or them or tiny ones all over the body of the fish

Thanks for the Ph info Gixer, I hadn't considered that.

The spots are small and there aren't too many of them but they are on the body and the fins

I know its White spot, can anyone give me any suggestions? Should I try a different med?

Most reactions

Back