Clown Fish Erratic Swimming

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Bit more info

One of the tetras has had a white stringy 'thing' hanging from its vent since last night not sure if its poo or a worm.

Any ideas

Make sure it poo and not a worm.

Just squeeze the garlic from a clove using a garlic press.

Also feed some shelled peas. To see if that clears the stringy white poo up.

Esha 2000 med.

Im thinking it is a worm as it seems a bit stingy like streched skin i think the other fish have been having a bit of a go at it was only about 10mm long last night now/was just looked and its now gone but was about 25mm long.

I did the garlic last night n the tetras spat the food out Plec liked it though will try again tonight. Ido feed peas quite often and also cucumber but will put some more in tonight

Thanks for the very fast response

Ok.
I would treat for internal parasites.

There this med will get you a link.

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_nematol%20001/198936

Thanks for that, they are out of stock but i have found it on ebay so will order tonight, Do you know is this treatment safe with filters and plants?

Thanks again

Just found another tetra floating round on the current had to put him out of his misery. He had cloudy eyes but no other signs

There is also another one that looks a bit 'off'

Anymore ideas really worried im going to loose the lot the way its going at the moment

thanks

Ask in tropical discussion as other members have used the med. I haven't.

R.I.P.

Cloudy eye is a symtom of a desease not a desease in it's own right.
Causes.
Bad water quality.
Stress.
Old age.
Irratation.
Poor diet.
Bacterial.
Parasites.
Injury.

Thanks Wilder

Causes of cloudy eye limit my choices Not!

Of all the causes i can cross off a few
Water - Checked and checked again using 2 different kits just to be sure
Old age - Ive had them about 5 month
Irritation - i pressume you mean from chemicals etc the lid is well fitting and i used dechlorinator everytime do water change
Diet - i try to feed quite a range of food Flake, frozen, pellets and live nto all at the same time though
Injury - the fish looks fine no signs

This leaves stress - tank change so could be, what is my best option with this
Bacteria - unsure of how to tell
Parasite - as above apart from the possible worm sighting (i have ordered sera nematol just incase)

Thanks for all the advice so far it really apreciated

Ok ive not added a pic cant seem to get it to download will try again

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8936/fish009.jpg

this seems to be the only way i can get pic to upload sorry might just be thick

it could be the pic that's decieving but is there a lump on the bottom of the tummy area.
When the fish has a strand hanging from it bum, did you find out if it was fish waste, or a worm.

bad news again

One of the tetras has now developed what looks like dropsy his body quite bloated and scales are sticking out giving him a spiky appearance. Is there anything i can do for him?

Dropsy is the results of another problem (so ive read)one of the main causes being bacterial infection. Is this the case?

If so whats my best ay forward before i loose any more fish

Once scales stick out organ failure.
Fish rarely make it once scales stick out.

All you can do is issolate the sick fish and try epson salt baths, bacterial med.

Dropsy can be caused by a number of things from bacterial, to internal parasites.

Dropsy

Symptoms:

This disease is very common among African Cichlids, and is commonly called "Malawi Bloat," even though it affects fish from Lakes Tanganyika and Victoria. Dropsy is also very common within the Carp family and among Anabantids. It is characterized by swelling of the body and especially abdomen, which causes the scales to stand out with a pine cone appearance. Eyes may protrude or cave in. Reddening at the vent and/or base of fins may be observable as well as body ulcers and long pale feces. In advanced cases, skin discoloration and scale loss may also occur. Sick fish will not show any desire for food. They will often hang near the bottom, resting on the gravel, or at the top, gasping for air. In the latter stages of this disease, the fish may lose its equilibrium and hence ability to swim properly.

Cause:

Three main causes for Dropsy have been identified. The over use of salt (NaCl), prolonged exposure to poor water conditions, and improper diet, which lead to a parasitic infection. Other causes include poisoning, internal injuries and cancerous tumors. The swelling is not the disease itself, but rather a symptom, which is caused by a build-up of fluids in the body cavity due to internal organ failure.

Treatment:

Treatment of this disease is difficult, as by the time it is recognized, permanent damage to the internal organs of the fish will have occurred. Immediate treatment must be performed if there is to be any chance for survival. Metronidazole (Flagyl) and or Clout are the best medications for treatment of Dropsy. Notwithstanding, not much is known for certain about the etiology of this disease and some experienced aquarists use antibiotics to fight Dropsy. For oxytetracycline, baths of 20-100 mg/litre for five days is suggested. For tetracycline hydrochloride, treat with baths of 40-100 mg/litre for five days. And for minocycline hydrochloride a dilution of 250mg/10 gallons of water is recommended. On day 2 change all the water and add the medicine again at the same dose for another 2 days. Increase aeration during treatment. Do not use minocycline a third time in a row. Caution: tetracyclines are photo sensitive so turn the tank lights off during treatment and cover the whole tank with a blanket. If the fish is still eating, you can soak the food in a concentrated solution of the antibiotic before feeding.

as i thought then i will QT him then and treat with epson. I will have to get bacterial med tomorrow.
You mention parasites and Bacterial infection whats the best meds for these?

Once again thanks for all the time answering my questions

Dropsy a symtom not a desease.

if there was a worm prutruding from the anus internal parasites can cause dropsy.

I would use the sera med.
There anti internal bacteria med by interpet for dropsy, but I don't rate the med much.

Let me know how the fish gets on.
Good Luck.

I will try the sera when it arrives
am i right in tjhinking (done too much reading recently) that i am best to also use a bacterial med aswell as the sera due to bacterial infections normally occuring after worm infestations if so which one ithink iremember you said esha 2000 is this right
sorry for so many questions but need to get this sorted before i loose all my fish

thanks

Most reactions

Back