Hi all
I've recently inherited a second communal tank from a neighbour
It's about a 150ltr and came with 1 plec 7", 1 Angel 6", 2 loach of some description both 4" and a rather large goldfish 9".
The goldfish has been in the tropical tank for around 9 years and isn't interested in gold fish flakes but loves small algae pellets
When i got the tank (about 4 weeks since) it was green everywhere so I emptied it totally keeping about 60ltrs of the water.... put in new gravel, an extra internal filter and cleaned everything as well as possible.
It looked great for the first 10 days or so but it's gradually turning green again despite doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days.
One thing that I'm unsure about is that it has a mirror backing which looks good but i'm wondering if this could contribute to the cloudy water.
I've only had a light on for about 6 hours each day and it's not in direct sunlight. No live plants
Water stats are....
Nitrite 0.15 ish
Nitrate 30
Ammonia 0
PH 7.2
Any help would be greatly appreciated Steve
I've recently inherited a second communal tank from a neighbour
It's about a 150ltr and came with 1 plec 7", 1 Angel 6", 2 loach of some description both 4" and a rather large goldfish 9".
The goldfish has been in the tropical tank for around 9 years and isn't interested in gold fish flakes but loves small algae pellets
When i got the tank (about 4 weeks since) it was green everywhere so I emptied it totally keeping about 60ltrs of the water.... put in new gravel, an extra internal filter and cleaned everything as well as possible.
It looked great for the first 10 days or so but it's gradually turning green again despite doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days.
One thing that I'm unsure about is that it has a mirror backing which looks good but i'm wondering if this could contribute to the cloudy water.
I've only had a light on for about 6 hours each day and it's not in direct sunlight. No live plants
Water stats are....
Nitrite 0.15 ish
Nitrate 30
Ammonia 0
PH 7.2
Any help would be greatly appreciated Steve
(is there a sucker type fish in the loach family)
I'd loose a couple of the fish, and that should reduce the clouding 
None of the fish you have obey the inche per gallon rule, needing more room each. In a 30g, you could have upto about 45 inches of fish maximum with decent filtration, assuming the fish obey the inch per gallon rule... I think you can see where this is going. Most of those fish are tank busters, in a relatively small tank (relative to their adult size)
)
You have a tough desision to make... Find the space and money for a larger tank, 4X2X2 in feet as a minimum, with some new serious heavy-duty filters. Or you can loose the Pleco, angels and goldie, Or you can leave them in that tank knowing that they aren't gong to last too long, certainly not the 15 years life of the angels, let alone the 30 the goldie and pleco should reach








