Cloudy Water After Water Change; Fish Acting Strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mark Z.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I posted this in another category, but now I think it is an emergency.

I had to get a new 55-gallon aquarium last night; the old one began leaking quickly. 

Today, the water was very cloudy. The fish were gasping for air. I did an 80% water change and things looked better. Now the water is cloudy again and the fish are acting strange.

Any ideas as to what to do? I feel like I am watching my fish die. I could put them all in my 48 gallon, but that would more than double the bio load on that tank and also I can't catch the fish without draining the entire tank.

Any suggestions?

Mark

When you first set up your tank, your tank has to cycle so the biological elements of the filter are ready to handle the waste produced by the fish. Cloudy or milky water is common during this process, but it usually does not show up until fairly late in the cycle.

If your tank has only had fish in it for a couple of weeks, or if it is new and has had a lot of fish in it for a few days, then this is the most likely cause of the cloudiness you are experiencing.

Have you cycled you new 55 gallon yet?

If you haven't or the cycling process is still ongoing I would advise AGAINST using water clarifiers cause they cause a negative impact on the cycling process.

Otherwise you could use them?

Also did you remember to use dechlorinate in the 80% water change?

What fish have you got in there and how many?

I think I read what you posted elsewhere. The good bacteria isn't just in the filter. It's also in all the substrate and on the glass. Your tank may not be able to handle the fishload at the moment. Have you tested for ammonia? This could be what's happening. I would keep doing water changes but i would almost suggest seeing if you could get dr. Tim's one and only bacterial supplement. Otherwise you may be doing a fish in cycle to an extent. Another one is tetra safe start that can work, though depending on how it's stored may or may not work. But those are the two recommended.

Another thing you could try...since you may need to keep doing water changes...can you move half of the fish to the other tank? Or is that tank already fully stocked?

I replied on your other post...hope it helps

The leaking tank had been cycled and running for about 8 months. I kept all the rocks and sand and driftwood in the tank water while I set up the new tank.

The ammonia levels were 0 and are still 0 with the new tank.

I did use dechlorinator for the new water. Could I have used too much? I was told to always dose more than needed.

The cloudiness appeared after a few hours. 

I have a thread fin acara, two red head tapajos, six disc tetras, four rainbow fish, a platy and seven cory cats in the tank. I don't want to put them in the other tank because it would be way way too overstocked. And, to catch the fish, I have to drain the tank down low.

Tank is doing well and no casualties!

Thanks for all the advice.

Mark

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back